Changing the thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing the thermostat

Its a bitch to do, i have fat fingers and i couldn't reach the lower bolt. All that and once i got it in the felpro gasket leaked. So i got to do it agian.

What a bitch.

On more reason to ditch the B6 SOHC and get a BP
    ah, it's wonderful driving a car that goes slow.. makes it easier to aim for the old people crossing the street

lol i had this same problem. not the fingers part, but i went to put my thermostat back in after having it out for months, and it leaked. i wish i had never touched it.

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

why were you running without one?
      ah, it's wonderful driving a car that goes slow.. makes it easier to aim for the old people crossing the street

Comment

well i got the car without one. the previous owner thought that would fix the overheating problem. a headgasket, water pump, and radiator later it was running. i just never put one back in the entire time i had the b6.

Comment

did it even warm up without the thermostat

Comment

nah, not really. lol

Comment

lol i heard that it can cause your car to overheat to.

I guess that makes sense when you think that the colder water in the radiator is exchanged with the hot water in the engine so that the hot water can stay in the radiator to cool. With out the thermostat the water does not stay in the radiator long enough to cool and it can overheat. I would only worry about that in hot weather though.

Comment

Only problem i had doing mine was i overtightened one of the bolts and cracked the thermostat housing, lucky i had a spare. Made me own gasket up out of a piece of carboard.

Comment

Originally posted by palehawaiian View Post
                  lol i heard that it can cause your car to overheat to.

I guess that makes sense when you think that the colder water in the radiator is exchanged with the hot water in the engine so that the hot water can stay in the radiator to cool. With out the thermostat the water does not stay in the radiator long enough to cool and it can overheat. I would only worry about that in hot weather though.
                  a buddy told me that too, but that never happened to me. i guess i just got lucky.

Comment

just use silicon gasket...

Comment

thats what i did the second time

Comment

yeah mine leaked with just the gasket, so I siliconed the holy **** out of it. no leaky no mo.
                        93 323, 94 MX-3, 04 MSM, 83 Jeep Cherokee, 87 b2000
                        www.gunshowracing.com

Comment

lol yeah i used high temp gasket maker and once i got it in a smoothed over what came out when it was tightened so it looks like a caulking on a bathtub. But it stopped the leak.

Still seems to get hot sitting there one me but its no longer an important thing to keep it running. We are the new owners of a Dark green 2000 jetta with black leather and a sunroof. Just got home with it about an hour ago so thats the new daily driver. Now I get to blow this POS up and order my BP.

I'll post a pic of the VW later if you guys want. Its a slick little car.
                          Last edited by palehawaiian; 01-22-2010, 08:46 PM. Reason: Them fat fingers again hitting the wrong keys.

Comment

dont blow it up.
                            you might need a back up motor?

Comment

going to put a turboed BP in it

Comment

Working...
                              X