Shifting Problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifting Problems?

have a gtx and 1st and 5th gear are hard to get into and the shift rod is just sloppy in general. it dosnt grind and im almost positive it dosnt have anything to do with the gears, i think its more related to the shifter/cables themselves. ive never messed with cable shift setup so i figured i would ask for some help before i mess something up.
    88 Mazda GTX- rusted dalmation, it runs?
    00 Ford ZX2- red terd, mods: slow
    00 Ford ZX2- purple ricerocket, 302whp/298wtq - SOLD

haha anyone? this site cant be that dry....

Comment

Had a bit of the same problem when i done the clutch and put the gearbox back in, cant remember what i done to sort it tho as it was ages ago. :D I think i adjusted the shift rods around the gearstick area.

Comment

Check to make sure your bushings aren't worn out. If they are past their prime then your shifting maneuvers will be inaccurate and you can have problems selecting gears.

1993 Mazda Familia GTR - work log

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Drummer69 View Post
          Check to make sure your bushings aren't worn out. If they are past their prime then your shifting maneuvers will be inaccurate and you can have problems selecting gears.
          the bushings being the two pivot cup things the shift rod sits into?

are there suppose to be some sort of bushings in the eyelet holes of the shift cable?

Comment

Also sounds like your cables could be starting to fray....it will be tough to see as the boots will hide it. Check your cable ends at the shifter first and the little square bushing that fits on the side of the shifter assembly. Adjust as needed there and see if that fixes it. If not you will have to pop for a new set of cables from your local freindly Mazda dealer....about 300.00. Only 4 sets showing in the US 2 in Cal. and 2 sets in Miss. and 3 sets in Canada Let me know what comes of it....I have a set with 1000 miles on them that I might let go.
            Thanks...HTH
            Clay

Comment

Originally posted by corby_baby View Post
              are there suppose to be some sort of bushings in the eyelet holes of the shift cable?
              This is where I would look first, where it mates to the transmission.

1993 Mazda Familia GTR - work log

Comment

Originally posted by azgtx View Post
                Also sounds like your cables could be starting to fray....it will be tough to see as the boots will hide it. Check your cable ends at the shifter first and the little square bushing that fits on the side of the shifter assembly. Adjust as needed there and see if that fixes it. If not you will have to pop for a new set of cables from your local freindly Mazda dealer....about 300.00. Only 4 sets showing in the US 2 in Cal. and 2 sets in Miss. and 3 sets in Canada Let me know what comes of it....I have a set with 1000 miles on them that I might let go.
                Thanks...HTH
                Clay
                cables appear to be good, i actually think the guy before me changed them because he gave me a box of random crap and i have a set in there that look pretty worn. ill check it out, thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by corby_baby View Post
                  cables appear to be good, i actually think the guy before me changed them because he gave me a box of random crap and i have a set in there that look pretty worn. ill check it out, thanks for the info.
                  I ran into the same thing a few years back.. Definately give it a try..
                  Cheap Tires available here.

Comment

Working...
                  X