Broken #3 Engine Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken #3 Engine Mount

In October 2009, while changing the oil in my wife's 3 I discovered that it had a broken #3 engine mount (I knew it was the #3 from checking the location of the mounts in the FSM). The mount is located on the right side of the engine (passenger side) next to the coolant overflow tank. I know this has been a problem with the 3 from the time I happened to be at my dealer when a woman came in with a new 3 in which an engine mount had broken and the engine had dropped down. In this particular case I think not just the rubber but the metal part itself must have broken.

Accordingly, the first thing I did was to check the Mazda TSBs for any relevant information. Sure enough, I found TSB: 01-035/07 titled: Multi-Model - Engine Vibration/Knocking Noise/No.3 Engine Mount Rubber Broken available at:

The applicable models covered are certain models of the 3, 2004-2006, and certain models of the 5, 2006. See the TSB for details.

The symptoms are that some vehicles may exhibit a knocking noise from the engine compartment when starting/shutting off the engine or may experience excessive engine vibration at idle. These symptoms could be observed under any condition such as accelerating or idling with the engine hot or cold. A likely cause of this is a broken No. 3 engine mount.

However, in the case of our car, none of these symptoms seem to have been present, at least not to any noticeable degree.

The TSB goes on to say the #3 engine mount rubber has been modified to address these concerns.

Because the factory has modified the part, I figured that a new one, and its installation, must be covered under warranty.

Armed with a printout of the TSB and the VIN number I went to my Mazda dealer and explained the situation. Immediately, the Service Writer said he believed the repair was under warranty and checked it out. He also had a mechanic look at the car to confirm my diagnosis (no charge for that, of course). Turns out the replacement is covered and I didn't even have to show him my printout.

The #3 engine mount rubber was ordered, and the dealer installed it a few days later.

In any case, those with 2004 through 2006 3s might want to check their mounts to determine if breakage has occurred.

Proud to be a two-Mazda family.

Happy Motoring!

Below are two photos of the repaired mount:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by goldstar; 01-24-2010, 12:43 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter
Working...
X