Mazda 626 wagon with a single throttle and boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mazda 626 wagon with a single throttle and boost

Well since i'm always poking around on this site, I thought i'd post up a sort of project thread for my car.

The car - 1993 Mazda 626 station wagon. Factory 7 seater model, factory auto and 2.2L NA F2 motor. A real slug, and quite a plain, boring looking car!

I bought it in February of 2007, and since then its had a few "minor" upgrades.

The day after I picked it, the stock wagon interior was binned and the interior from a TX5 Turbo went in. My mates tx5 has been recently rear ended so I had all the parts I needed. Also put a factory rear strut brace from an MX6 turbo in at the same time, and on went my MOMO steering wheel.

The next day a 2 1/2" exhaust system went on, which was far too loud for the NA motor as it had only one muffler on the rear and it was pretty much straight through. I drove it around like that for as long as i could stand the noise, which was 2 days, before goin down to an exhuast shop and gettin them to put the biggest muffler they could fit on it!

Next thing i did was buy some BA XR6 wheels for it, on stock suspension it looked like a monster truck -

So in went some pedders shocks and springs from the same tx5 i got the interior from -

I drove it around like that for a couple of months, then the stock NA motor and auto box was pulled out -

And in went the F2T and manual box from the smashed tx5. It was easy as it was 100% bolt in. The wagon even had the holes for the factory cooler pipes in the rad support.

The motor was all stock, it just had a chipped computer and the exhaust system. And about 12psi of boost.

I then bought an EVO 9 intercooler to put on it -

And somewhere along the line i bought some Capella wagon stainless sills from the yahoo auction -

Up next came the purchase of a Guru Motorsports TORSEN LSD for the h-type box -

And that was pretty much it for modifying the car for about a 12 months. I was just daily driving it at this stage and was happy with how it went. Then in about July of 08 i stumbled across a VERY cheap rebuilt FE3 motor on ebay. So i snapped that up quick. It was built 3 years ago and had just been sitting in some guys shed. It has Toyota 3S pistons in it, lowering the compression ratio to 8.5:1. Perfect for turbo.

Picture from the laser cruise to hanging rock -

I then found another FE3 for sale that had a turbo exhaust manifold and some rx7 injectors with it, so for the price i couldnt say no so in bought that too -

Comment

I then started to collect parts for the FE3-T conversion. A Wolf V4 computer and some Fidanza adjustable cam gears thanks to a recent group buy. And a 600x300x76mm cooler.

Comment

I put the motor together with the inlet manifold from a F8-DOHC motor, as it doesnt have the VICS stuff in it like an FE3 manifold. Also welded an oil return to the sump. The turbo is a GT2560R, but i took the .64 housing off and put an .86 on so it would have more top end.

Comment

The F2T had done me well, it lasted 30,000kms of having the absolute crap thrashed out of it all the time. In the last couple of months it would randomly get hot. Turns out it had a blown head gasket. Two days before it came out of the car, i went on a GT car club cruise, 300kms of giving it hell through windy roads, the temp gauge sat on 3/4 the whole day and would occasionnally creep up to full hot when i wasnt moving.

The cooler i had fit perfectly behind the front bumper. But left little room for piping to be made. So the end tank outlets were cut off by a mystery man i geelong and some 90 degree alloy elbows were welded on. And some thick tabs on the side to mount it.

Comment

Before the FE3 went into the car i had to pull the box apart again, as the 3/4 synchro hub was destroyed, it would crunch every change into 3rd.

Finally the FE3 goes into the car :D

Making the stainless cooler piping, a new 3" dump and full exhuast was made. And a big stick fell out of a tree on a hot day and smashed my windscreen! Damn lucky though, it would have done some serious damage if it hit the roof. And i bought some 17" Mazdaspeed wheels from the yahoo auctions.

Comment

Wiring fun with the wolf, and 4x LS1 v8 coils. They have built in ignitors so wire them is piss easy. And you can buy off the shelf MSD replacements for them. So i'll probably upgrade to those in the future.

Comment

Got the lips of the rims repolished. And painted the cooler black so you cant see it.

The end result -

Comment

Some vids -

This is back in 2007 when i first got it running with the F2T motor -

626 wagon. converted from n/a auto to turbo manual.

And this is the car as of last week. Running on the wolf, with an Innovate Motosports LM-1 wideband. I've been tuning the car on the road myself so far.

Wolf V4, 3" exhuast, 600x300 cooler, innovate LM-2 wideband, 17" mazdaspeed wheels.

It goes harder on 6psi on my dodgy tune than the old F2T did on 12-14psi. Its still running far too rich, and has no timing in it at all. I'm goin to do 1500kms or so then probably get it on a dyno.

I just bought some aftermarket Honda B18 valve springs too, as they are a direct swap into the FE3 head. That should give me an 8000rpm redline.

Comment

Update, been on the dyno last two weekends. Final power is a touch over 230kw!

Comment

Update!

Got my self a new strut brace couple weeks ago. Its a factory Mazdaspeed brace from a late model 626 wagon. Got it off yahoo auctions. Looks better than my plain old black one......and it Mazdaspeed

Also got my windows tinted finally, 20% tint all round.

And a few pics from Jambo in case anyone missed the Jambo pics thread, my car parked next to Ross'!

Comment

Well after driving around with on 3rd gear for a few weeks it was finally time to pull the motor and box yesterday to make way for the Toyota box conversion. Didnt have an engine crane handy so used the next best thing!

Adapter plate, shafts and Toyota E58 gearbox.

Gonna get really stuck into it after christmas, got a few more things to sort out but i have 99% of the parts. Thinking about a turbo change while its all apart, so if anyone is interested in the turbo/manifold/dump send me a PM!

Comment

My third gear, this is h-type transmission, not a g-series, they are much bigger but seem to have the same old issues.

Comment

Here is the Toyota shifter assembly I am using, fits perfect under the centre console, once the leather boot is on it will look stock.

Comment

Heating up the Toyota flywheel to get the ring gear off -

And heating up the Mazda flywheel, then the flywheel needs to be machined down and the Toyota ring gear attached.

Comment

Working...
                              X