8" sub inside?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8" sub inside?

I came up with an idea for me to get more bass without taking up any trunk space. I would only be able to use an 8" sub but it would be right beind the front seats. I drew up a picture in paint of the interior cut in half down the middle of the car.

The red part would be 13" tall, 10" wide, and 10" long and would have an 8" sub in it. Is that even possible or would it have to be more than 10x10 to have an 8" sub? The blue part could be part of the enclosure if I needed more airspace inside, but I would rather have it not be. My idea for that is to have cupholders on it and have it be somehow removable so I can still fold down the seats.

Its just an idea right now, and it would be a lot of hard work to do. But I think it would be worth it in the end. I actually got the idea when I was checking out the RX-8 since its center console goes from the front dash all the way to the rear. I would be the only one who had anything like it too.

So what does everybody think? If I even plan to attempt this I will first have to go listen to some 8s so I can see if they will put out enough bass for me.
    02 Protege ES

so whres the amp gonna go?

Also I would recommend an *" solobarrik l7..... will sound great... friends dad has one in his tahoe and its good and tight bass

Comment

The amp would go under the drivers seat most likely.
      02 Protege ES

Comment

i think it would work great i'm trying to decide where to put one or two 8's in the front of my car for the 70+ hz region i'd suggest one 8 from elemental designs, from their A-series. yeah, it's $185, but it's a bad ass 8:p:

16.5 mm of xmax, and it'll play down to 20 hz not to mention it only needs .3 cu ft for sealed application

Comment

Too bad you can't put an 8 under each seat so you could really feel it. Imagine the orgasms your girl would have, I mean..Oh did I say that?! Seriously though, it would be cool if it would fit under. I guess if you were really talented, you could have the 8's in the door and design a pod via fiberglassing. HH could do it! Hell, you should see his custom enclosure for his subs!
          2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
          KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
          Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
          Groundkit

Comment

That edesigns sounds like it would work well. You guys on the forums always say good things about their subs. If I do this I will probably get one.

MisterT, I have seen HH's enclosure and it is very nice. I also read his tutorial. If I do this I will most likely be trying fiberglass since I don't this it would look good if it was just a square box. Plus I found out that the top of the enclosure is going to have to be narrower near the front seats.
            02 Protege ES

Comment

Originally posted by MisterT
              Too bad you can't put an 8 under each seat so you could really feel it. Imagine the orgasms your girl would have, I mean..Oh did I say that?! Seriously though, it would be cool if it would fit under. I guess if you were really talented, you could have the 8's in the door and design a pod via fiberglassing. HH could do it! Hell, you should see his custom enclosure for his subs!
              hehe, i was planning on putting the blaupunkt saucer subs under the passenger seat of my friends car i'm still thinking about putting a set of 8's in the front doors, but i'm also thinking about the front of the center console.

Comment

Subs under the seat would be awesome. Did bluapunkt ever release those saucer subs yet? I remember reading they were having problems manufacturing them or something.

Back to my plan. How exactly do you mount a sub facing down? Is there some kind of calculation you use to find out how much space you leave between the sub and the floor?
                02 Protege ES

Comment

you mean so the magnet is facing out? then just make the box volume to be the specified volume... if it say it wants .8 cubic feet... make it .8 cubic feet... if you were gonna mount it regularly... youd have to amek the box .8 + the driver space so if your driver was .168 cubic feet in volume... then youd have to make a .968 cubic foot box to make up for the taken up space.. so no. there is no certian equation.

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
                    hehe, i was planning on putting the blaupunkt saucer subs under the passenger seat of my friends car
                    No way you stole my idea. It's a guy thing for the ladies you know! :p: It's like a lap massage!!

Groundkit

Comment

Thanks for the info but that is not what I meant. However, that was going to be my next question. I wasn't sure if I needed .xx cubic feet with the speaker installed or not.

What I meant before was that the face of the box with the sub installed would be facing the floor of the car, so the sub would be firing at the floor. Does the sub have to be a certain distance from the floor and if so, what is the distance?
                      02 Protege ES

Comment

Originally posted by Dermen
                        Thanks for the info but that is not what I meant. However, that was going to be my next question. I wasn't sure if I needed .xx cubic feet with the speaker installed or not.

What I meant before was that the face of the box with the sub installed would be facing the floor of the car, so the sub would be firing at the floor. Does the sub have to be a certain distance from the floor and if so, what is the distance?
                        I know that it wasn't what you meant. They do have to have some distance from the floor if you are talking about having them firing downwards. As far as how much distance, I wouldn't imagine too much for an 8. It may be one of those things you would have to play around with to see what sounds best and go from there. Under the seat though, there isn't a whole lot of room. I am not sure if an 8 would fit, esp. downward firing one, though downward firing would give you the most bass out of that sized driver.

Groundkit

Comment

One other thing, if you could do it, would you be able to up and back the seat with a box of that size?

Groundkit

Comment

no measurement either.... just find out the excursion height and and add like a quarter of an inch to be safe... just put some little feat on it or something

Comment

Thanks for you help. I am really thinking I am gonna try this once I get moved. It should be interesting.
                              02 Protege ES

Comment

Working...
                              X