Wideband location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wideband location

I have a 88 gtx and I'm about to put my wideband but idk where I should put the sensor part. My front o2 sensor on the manifold is not connected the previous owner broke the wires on it.

Most WB O2 instructions say to mount it a yard away from the turbo. Mine are installed just before the joint between the downpipe and the exhaust. You don't want to put it behind the joint, in case it leaks and allows air into the exhaust, nor do you want it behind the cat. Some ppl put theirs in the stock sensor location, close to the turbo and report no problems.
    The other thing you have to make sure of is to mount it so it's pointing downwards, otherwise condensation will kill it real quick.
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

The Innovate I got was installed right at the firewall, almost below the oil filter area. Readings are quick, accurate and consistent.

That is in my case, have heard to close to the turbo (lets say similar to the O2 location) may damage them.

At the 1200 O'clock position, always between 9 and 3, make sure the mounting location gives you enough space to move a rachet.

Comment

You can get 5-wire wideband sensors that have a wideband out put, a narrowband output for your ECU, and are heated by the 3rd wire. Just replace the OEM O2 sensor with it. I thought Innovate made one.
        Jim Chittenden
        NY
        s1elise190@yahoo.com

1988 Mazda 323 GTX

Comment

I have mine in the CS BPT downpipe. They do take some work to get them to fit on the 1.6L though. But that has a bung for a O2 as that's where Mazda put it on that motor.

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
          1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
          1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
          1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
          1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

Working...
          X