question on exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question on exhaust

i wuz thinkin bout hollowing out the catalytic converter...now does any1 think this will make my car sound like a truck...i mean it sounds good now but i jus wanna hollow it out but not if theres a chance of loosin the nice noise from dat exhaust

Don't bother with that.
    You will be better off to get a high flow cat and have them install that.
    Better yet .. Just leave the cat alone ..
    Bruce
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Catalytic converter has nothing to do with how your car sounds. If you want a deep tone sound, just get a canister-type muffler. It will be really loud, even inside of the car too. I had one, and with an auto tranny, it was just too damn annoying. Unfortunately, without a V-8, you will never be able to make your Protege sound like a truck. Specific engine configs, i.e., V-8, V-6, I-4, H-4, have their unique sounds, and you will not be able to modify one to mimic the other. A four banger will always sound like a four banger, its just a matter of loudness.
      "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Go ahead. Then you can post here when your check engine light comes on all the time.
        And wonder why you don't pass Emission tests.
        Ryan The middle child is always ignored
        BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Um... I got a gutted cat! It sounds normal. So gutting the cat out probably won't change the sound at all. And with the check engine light, mines don't cut on.. but i think the cat that was gutted out was the one under the hood.. down below the exhaust manifold
          Last edited by Torped0; 01-27-2004, 06:10 PM.
          Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

Well, it would actually depend on wether you've got an O2 sensor after the cat.
            Ryan The middle child is always ignored
            BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
            Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

guys, he has an automatic.

I would never want a loud exhaust with an automatic car...
              I think the better way to go...
              Leave the cat alone. If you want more flow (won't be much with a stock auto 1.5) then get a high flow cat. Your emesions will be intact, thus saving the environment and you will have slightly better performance.
              Then after that you can contact Andy Wagner about getting a full header made for your car. He is pretty good with manifolds. Maybe he can make you a header. (it's a though) ..

You other guys should also contact Andy Wagner about getting a turbo made for the 1.5L Protege.
              I mean he did it for David's 1.6 3rd gen.. why don't one of you guys get one made.
              Bruce
              photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
                .. why don't one of YOU guys get one made.
                Bruce
                hahahah, now that bruce has the 1.8L, he says "one of you guys..", meaning one of us with the 1.5's.lol
                Almost there

jdm tails... check
                jdm bumper... check
                ms lip... check
                ms grill... check
                ms sideskirts... check
                ms rear skirts... check
                ms spoiler... check
                ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
                Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

umm I thought ES was making us one already?

Comment

Originally posted by 95pro
                    hahahah, now that bruce has the 1.8L, he says "one of you guys..", meaning one of us with the 1.5's.lol
                    Ahhh...that bastard.....lucky bastard.
                    I wish I had one. Dag on slowtege with the 1.5.

hey asylum...www.ottoracing.com doesn't exist. Are there any pics of it? I'm sure I could find it if I did a search but I'd like to see it on your car.

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
                    Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
                    I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

Comment

Um I can go take pics real quick.. its really dirty though

http://www.alfaotto.com/store-detail...%2DXX20%2DMUF2 thats a pic of it except mine is 3" tip not 4

BRB with pics.

Comment

I'll be waiting. I like the 3in better anyways. 4 is getting on the coffee can side and is beyond my tastes.
                        Thanks.

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
                        Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
                        I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

Comment

yea 4 is big and 3.5 is getting there.... that and anything bigger wont fit in the erebuni kit....

here are the pics... it was really cold so I did it in a hurry and tried to get as much light on it as I could so you could see it
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by asylum24; 01-27-2004, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by asylum24
                            yea 4 is big and 3.5 is getting there.... that and anything bigger wont fit in the erebuni kit....

here are the pics... it was really cold so I did it in a hurry and tried to get as much light on it as I could so you could see it
                            Are you guys talking about diameter of a tip, or the diameter of the piping?
                            "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

umm ok why teh heck isnt it showing hte attached image thingy's?

Comment

Working...
                              X