Urathane Engine Mount Inserts???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urathane Engine Mount Inserts???

What do yall think about using urathane mounts vs rubber for street use? I found some inserts that say they can be used w/ stock mounts, but i've also heard stock mounts arent made to take the stress of the softer urathane inserts.
    sigpic
    Mod List:
    *KYB GR2 Struts
    *Modified stock intake
    *K&N Performance air filter
    *Stainless Header
    *Custom Interior- hot pink / black carbon fiber wrap
    *Urethane Filled Mounts (1 done so far)
    *Alpine 600W Amp / Audiobahn 12" Sub

search, there a an excellent writeup about filling mounts... general consensus is that the inserts don't do anything from what I heard.
    2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
    1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

inserts work just fine, just have to make sure your mounts aren't warn to begin with.

filling mounts works if you have either spare mounts, or lots of down time available for the car (takes a while to dry)

benefit to the inserts are there's only R&R down time, no curing needed.
      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

I have inserts and they are just like solid mounts.
        Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
        "Who Dey"

Comment

minor difference

Comment

Sweet, thanx for the tips! I'll keep searchin for some inserts for now, eventually gonna have head rebuilt n other stuff that will require some down time so might look into filling em then
            sigpic
            Mod List:
            *KYB GR2 Struts
            *Modified stock intake
            *K&N Performance air filter
            *Stainless Header
            *Custom Interior- hot pink / black carbon fiber wrap
            *Urethane Filled Mounts (1 done so far)
            *Alpine 600W Amp / Audiobahn 12" Sub

Comment

ES inserts are mostly worthless, just use window weld.
              sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
              92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

I saw once on the internet where someone used window weld to secure ES inserts in place, it seems logical.
                Not the sports page Not a magazine

Comment

I got the idea of window weld, etc etc, BUT Which one?

Comment

this stuff right here. they carry it at advance for like $15 or homedepot has it way cheaper. I used PL sidiing sealant and it works well too.
                    -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                    VF10 powered!
                    262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                    13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Honestly, if it were me, I'd just stick with the stock rubber mounts. You won't get any nifty new vibrations like you most likely will with urethane/filled mounts, and you won't run the risk of breaking anything like you can if you get inserts that are too hard. Unless you're running appreciably more power or plan on turning your car into a dedicated track slut/drag racer, save the time and money (not a lot of money, I know, but money saved nonetheless) and focus on other mods that will net you bigger gains.
                      1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

Just get a set from AWR, lifetime warranty, and your choice in durometer of urethane.
                        1997 Protegé ES: The Power of BP

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

RR-Racing engine mount insert review

was gonna create a new thread for my impressions but i can update this thread

i bought both front and rear inserts, but only the rears went in this time. my rear engine mount was torn, the thru bolt was basically out of the rubber and was held in place by the tension in the bracket. dunno how it passed safety inspection, but it was my chance to replace the mount and install inserts. i got a used rear mount from a forum member. it was already in great shape so i think it wouldve been an excellent replacement on its own. but i had someone install the mount and inserts while they had my transmission out to replace the clutch.

well it was no easy task for them. they had access to a plethora of tools and still found getting and removing the mount to be a b*tch. the inserts and mount install is pretty straight forward but its the dang bolts that hold the plastic harness bracket. the inserts are plain jane ready to go; just slip them into the voids of the rubber. they are a set, so one side will only fit its designed shape. if you are having problems with fitment you more than likely got the same of 1 side, just give RR-Racing a holler and they will fix it right quick. after it was all said and done the mount with inserts went in, and the difference was day and night!

first drive you felt EVERYTHING. all NVH (noise, vibrations, and harshness) were carried into the cabin. I'm thinking its because this mount is right on the firewall and the NVH has nowhere else to go. panels you never knew made noises will creak and rattle, and your entire dashboard will sound like a machine gun. acceleration, braking, felt like a totally different car. with the new clutch in, it was like learning to drive a stick again. the first week did not go any smoother. after about the 3rd to 4th week, the vibrations came down as the polyurethane had settled, much like my Pedders polyurethane control arm bushings. its been about 3 months now and it is more compliant and the NVH levels have almost returned to stock, and thats an almost with a grain of salt.

babying the clutch as to not destroy it in the first week, i have become more brave at launching the car in normal driving, and the wheel hop has been reduced, although if you were to push it, it wont be completely eliminated. installing the front #2 (under the radiator) mount im sure will work in tandem to reduce even further. if you've got exhaust drone, expect it to be multiplied. if you have a finely tuned sound system, you may need to retune your equilizer settings as i have a hard time hearing certain low-end frequencies in the cabin and havent had an opportunity to fix that yet.

ultimately polyurethane comes down to a personal preference...if you want to keep your OEM ride comfort, just stick with stock. there is no arguable reason for daily driver use unless you are a crappy driver like myself and tear engine mounts left and right (front and back too). these inserts are a half-commitment, as you wont get the full-on polyurethane feel, yet get most of its benefits. highly recommended product from RR-Racing if you do decide to go this route.
                          Last edited by meGrimlock; 04-29-2014, 11:10 AM.

Comment

I have no run 6 years collectively with a set of window weld fast urethane filled mounts, with no additional NVH whatsoever
                            "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                            -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                            *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                            172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                            New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

update:
                              finally installed the front inserts. out of necessity as the replacement front mount tore again. so just remember this review is based on inserts installed on a torn mount.

i had to trim 1 of the rubber tabs on the stock mount to fit the inserts. the tabs appeared to serve no purpose other than for alignment of the mount but the mount will install in either direction. the NVH is much less noticable with the front inserts vs. the rears only. this is probably due to time allowing the rear to settle, the front mount being further away from the firewall, and possibly that the fronts were torn. i can't comment on how they would feel on a good mount. the pedals feel more coarse if that makes any sense. when i had the polyurethane control arm bushings installed it felt very similar, a course and rough pedal feel as more vibrations from the road transferred into the footwell. it has been around 2 weeks and things are settling nicely although the trunk is vibrating at certain times.

along with the poly inserts, the stiffer mazdaspeed protege #3 engine mount was installed due to that mount breaking and squirting liquid all over. with the inserts and upgraded mount, launching the car is much more controlled. wheel hop is almost a thing of the past. with the tires i have, if i lauch too aggressively on certain types of smooth asphalt/smooth cement road it get a little bit of a hop due to tire traction.

still recommended upgrade for the daily driver/street/light track use. although the upgrades might put you out of certain stock classes.
                              Last edited by meGrimlock; 08-27-2012, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X