Just Picked Up This MX6 Today!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Picked Up This MX6 Today!!

Hey I just picked up this MX6 today. You'll Never guess what I paid for it. Has a few problems but I think I can work with it. Its a 92 2nd gen MX6. Just had the automatic transmission rebuilt about 6000 miles ago. New Brakes, New Distributor, (I think they were off when setting the timing). Anyways take a look and see what you think.
    Attached Files
    92 Mazda MX6 LS (2nd Gen)
    96 Mazda Protege LX

sigpic

I'm gonna say you stole it for $700

oooooooooo.... black leathers and a silver exterior!

I like 2nd gen MX-6's and you seem to have found one of my fav. color and interior combos!
    2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
    1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Yeah, I think I stole it too. I actually paid $1000, dude thought it had a blown head gasket. The oil is clean and full, and so is the coolant. It runs and drives really good, but when you jump on it, it has no jump. Thats why I think a little turn on the distributor to find the sweet spot and it should go pretty nice.
      96 Mazda Protege LX

sigpic

Comment

also maybe a plugged muffler or cat.

that is a hella good deal man!
        1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Thats a good point. I'll have to check into that also. Thanks for the tip. I took the air filter out to check it and it was just nasty. That didn't help the situation any either. Plus it needs a serpentine belt, there's some fraying goin on in there.
          96 Mazda Protege LX

sigpic

Comment

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you there. a good way to test it is to just take the muffler off first and drive it around and see if there is more power, if not then take the cat out and drive it. If that doesn't do anything then its not exhaust related.

I bought a car for $500 that they guy thought the clutch was slipping on and it was just a plugged muffler making a whistling sound. I shook the muffler out for a few hours and then sold the car on ebay for $2200.
            1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Nice, now thats how you flip a car. I'm gonna get the belt, and air filter replaced on monday. Then I'll check the timing and compression, I need to get the fault codes read to. I think I have one of those cheap beep/blink testers, should work ok. I'm excited to get started on it. The interior reallly really needs to be cleaned. It was a teenage girl who drove the car, you all know how that goes. Surprisingly no tears in the seats. The dash has a small area where it seperated from the front panel, needs to be tucked back in. No Stereo which sucks, but all the amp wiring is ran already. Haven't investigated the speakers yet. Alot of work to do. At least the cost of the car was under budget so I have some extra cash to put into it.
              96 Mazda Protege LX

sigpic

Comment

Went to AutoZone before closing time. Got a new Air Filter and Belt. When I got home I grabbed a beer and headed off to the Garage. With the help of my trusty Timing Light I learned that the timing was at about 18 degrees BTDC. Set that at the suggested 10 degrees. Changed the belt. That was fun, let me tell ya. I don't know how these guys put those engines in Festiva's and whatnot expecting to be able to work on them. Anyways, after replacing some wiper blades, I took it for a spin. It performed alot better. Not like it should, but better. It felt like it actually had a passing gear (automatic). Seems to shift really hard between first and second. After the test drive, I installed a head unit. A Kenwood El Cameleon that was layin around. So all in all I had a pretty productive evening of drinking beer and workin on my MX6.
                96 Mazda Protege LX

sigpic

Comment

nice deal you got there. what are your plans for it?

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

I'm not sure yet. So far my plans are to get it cleaned up, everything workin right, find out what else is wrong with it. Go from there I guess.
                    96 Mazda Protege LX

sigpic

Comment

I have a compression tester. When you're at the house tomorrow, it's in the shed. should have the proper fitting. Have fun doing that on the FWD v6
                      -Dennis
                      95 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 - 191k miles

I'll be back in the BG game eventually!

Comment

Nice score. Even if it has a blown HG just swap in a klze. Less than 2000 bones for car and motor...can't beat that
                        1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

MX6 got a bath today, The only thing I got done to it. It was my son's 5th birthday, so "Horray" to him. Anyways here are some pics of it after taking a shower and a little extra attention to the wheels and tires. The body defects really show up now that its clean. Still not in to bad of shape though.
                          Attached Files
                          96 Mazda Protege LX

sigpic

Comment

Is this a Canadian car or something? The 92 in the US was still the 1st gen MX6.

Comment

92 was the transition year. When both of them were built. I made a joke that both 1st and 2nd gen mx6's sat side by side on the lot.
                              -Dennis
                              95 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 - 191k miles

I'll be back in the BG game eventually!

Comment

Working...
                              X