Interior Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interior Idea

so im really anxious and want to do something with my car since the weather is subpar in MI. Ive been doing a lot of reading lately about fiberglass and have come up with some ideas that i might want to work on in the coming months. Im thinking that im going to build a housing in each of my doors to hold the speaker so that it is visible to the driver (similar to what some show cars have). Im not new to fiberglass, but i think ive read even more material that will further help me do this. I then plan on painting the door trim in a two-tone fashion; silver on the top half (above switches and handle) and black below. if anyone has seen the interior of the wings west mp3, i want a similar style, but with silver instead of yellow. Now if anyone else out there has tips/stories/ideas, please share them. if not, if i end up going through with this ill have a how to and pics as i go through it. Im also in the process of building a box for a friends silverado ext. cab with a fiberglass top section and custom lighting, so it might still be a while before i get crackin on mine. Us college kids dont have all that much time

2003 Sunlight Silver ES 5 Speed
    www.cardomain.com/id/bigwoo23

There seems to be an epidemic in MI, everyone seems to think that painting your car isn't cool anymore, and people drive around with more primer than paint. What is the world coming to?

sounds like a good project, im not too skilled with fiberglass, the only thing i can tell you is to take your time.
    .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
    225.94wtq
    torque monster!!!!
    dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
    http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
    http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

sounds like what im doing in a way... or atleast what I started to do then got put on hold for now...

Comment

read through alpine's building of the RSX and civic. they've got some great pics that will give you some ideas for building up the doors.
        link to the RSX.
        link to the civic.

how much other info do you need? how much experience do you have? i'll help as much as i can

Comment

thanks blue, i hadnt seen those pics, but i had seen the finished product and was part of my inspiration. Those pics did help me get an idea how to frame up the surround for the front 6x8s. Im gonna stick with my pioneers cuz they have some type of a grille on them so they will be protected. i think im gonna go with 6 1/2s in the back door and rout some wire through the doors to power them from my seperate amp in the back. Right now i have 2 solo baric l7 10"s comin with the 1000 watt kicker amp to power them, and a seperate 1000 watt 4 channel amp to power my other interior speakers.
          -and i still dont have my car back from the shop yet

There seems to be an epidemic in MI, everyone seems to think that painting your car isn't cool anymore, and people drive around with more primer than paint. What is the world coming to?

Comment

dude, straight up, if you are going through all that work, get a good set of components for up there the improvement in sound stage is amazing with a well setup set of components up front. you won't even want to run your rear speakers

Comment

any suggestions as far as what brand to go with. I just bought these pioneer ones and im extremely happy with them so far out of my stock stereo, but that leads me to my next interior project plan - taking out the stock stereo and moving the receiver to the cup holder area and slanting it in, and putting a screen where the old stereo used to be. anyways, i havnet looked at components since i put my bose speakers in my old car, so i dont really know whats good, so if you got any ideas shoot them my way

Comment

should I even speak

Comment

Originally posted by asylum24
                  should I even speak
                  no
                  we know you are going to suggest alpine, and i will say that i am very satisfied with my type R components, and i'm even running 5 times the rms rated power to them but as with all speakers going around and listening to different brands is the best way to pick them out.

bigwoo23, listen to as many different sets as you can. there are a few brands that put out very high end components, but even their lower level ones sound superb. it's been my personal opinion that i very much dislike pioneer speakers. i had all pioneer speakers when i worked at best buy, and i prefer my power acoustik components that i had to the pioneers. as for bose, they suck for car audio. it's not a bad factory system, but i personally hate them. but that's mainly cause of their retarded design of having an amp attatched to each speaker, so there is 4 wires going to the speakers. i'm thinking that putting the HU down in the cup holder area will be too low. i thought about it, but rather i moved my HVAC controls down to the cup holder, my HU to where the HVAC controls where, and there will be a 7" screen going in the dash.

don't worry, the crushed velvet is temporary, till i have time to finish it and paint it

Comment

damn someone beat me to the punch! thanks blue for the advice though, i really appreciate it. btw nice job on the console and dash - looks really good

Comment

Originally posted by bigwoo23
                      damn someone beat me to the punch! thanks blue for the advice though, i really appreciate it. btw nice job on the console and dash - looks really good

if you ever have any questions or what not, PM me on here, or you can try to catch me on aol instant messenger at primitiveaudio

Comment

blue do you have any other pics of it painted, or havent you got around to it yet. also, did you take out your main dash and if so how do you get around the passenger airbag and such. Im trying to get as much research on this before i get something started, im gonna have a week and a half off for spring break and i need to get my friends sub box finished for his ranger and start my work while im home. Youve really been a big help in leading me in the right direction blue. i appreciate it

Comment

no other pics yet. i rough sanded it and sprayed it black, cause i didn't have enough time to finish it. and since then i've had too many other projects to pull it back out and finish it

yeah i've taken my dash out. it's a PITA. disconnect you battery before you do anything with the air bags. there's 2 or 4 bolts holding the passenger side air bag on. there is a yellow jacket around 2 wires that go to a plug. unplug that, and the airbag is disconnected. take out your glove box and you'll see exactly what it is the rest of the dash is the problem. it took the metal frame out with the plastic dash cover. that's not supposed to be how to do it, though. you can unbolt the metal frame, and take all the stuff off the steering colum, but the pivot point of the steering colum won't let the metal frame out. rather than undo all the screws that hold the plastic cover to the frame, i just took a big screwdriver and a crow bar and bent the frame out, so i could get the pivot point out. after it was out i filed down the pivot point so that it would be easier to reinstall and get out for future use. i've since had my dash out 3 times. i believe proto2k took his dash cover out, so he can probably direct you better for just removing the cover.
                          here are some pics of it:
                          if you've got an imagestation account, here's the whole album.

that's the pivot point that makes it a PITA.

passenger side. notice the yellow jacketed plug.

driver's side.

Comment

im a kicker fan
                            boost happy

Comment

is everyone else seeing red X's for the pics i posted? imagestation must be ****ed

Comment

Working...
                              X