Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Familia Build. From Purchase to Start line.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Familia Build. From Purchase to Start line.

OK,
    I have been building my Familia for a number of years.
    During this process, I took a number of photos. Not of everything, but of items I thought would show various parts of the life cycle.

The pictures are located on my smug page of my Car Build up.

I will update this page, with engine specs etc when I find the receipt of parts. Needless to say it is currently built to GTR specs with larger turbo etc.
    It runs an Autronic SMC ecu,
    Proflex remote canister suspension and RX7 Series 4 front brakes.
    Under body protection, 15 inch rims with Pirelli rubber.
    Sparco seats, wheel and Fire bomb.
    Sabelt 6 point harnesses.
    Chromoly cage with full seam weld.

So its a GTX with a GTR transmission and engine? I see the 4 lug spindles.
    Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
    "Who Dey"

Comment

very clean build...

so what the hell hit you though to damage the fender like that... weird $h!t
      1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
      Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
      "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

nice built, any more info on the front brake??
        2012 Kia rio
        2009 Nissan Frontier
        1997 chaparral 180LE

Comment

Originally posted by bomdoutscort View Post
          So its a GTX with a GTR transmission and engine? I see the 4 lug spindles.
          Yes it is, but FIA Homologation papers show the GTR ran with 4 stud hubs. (safari edition)

This allows you to run a GTX chassis with GTR running gear.
          Also meant I did not have to buy a shed load of new rims to fit the car.

Had a lower ball joint failure as I came over a rocky section in a rally.
          Wanted to turn right between some trees, and the car understeared off the road into a culvert which threw us into the tree.
          As the car was on an angle, most of the panel damage was done to the top.

Wheel was at full lock, and hit right in the centre of the hub.
          Crushed the lower control arm and moved some bits around.
          We were running fifth in the event at the time.
          Last edited by smee323; 03-18-2010, 09:24 PM. Reason: add bits

Comment

more info on your brakes. i have the calipers but what else did u use?

Comment

Yes, brakes, more info, that's all. Nice build
              1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
              1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
              2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
              2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
              .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post
                Yes, brakes, more info, that's all. Nice build
                I'll have to take some photo's and get the info up.

Discs were from an Audi. Re drilled to suit the 4 lug hubs.

Some metal plate was welded and bolted to the hub after maching the hub done to accept the RX caliper.

Braided hoses were custom made to suit the caliper and fit the normal familia rigid haose fittings.

Comment

Some brake info.
                  Knuckle on right shows the spacer welded to the modified knuckle.

Standard knuckle

Modified knuckle

Rear view of knuckle

Comment

Nice brake work!
                    That caliper spacers are made from tempered steel or not?
                    sigpic
                    1990 323s BG 1.6i

Comment

Originally posted by smee323 View Post
                      OK,
                      I have been building my Familia for a number of years.
                      During this process, I took a number of photos. Not of everything, but of items I thought would show various parts of the life cycle.

The pictures are located on my smug page of my Car Build up.

I will update this page, with engine specs etc when I find the receipt of parts. Needless to say it is currently built to GTR specs with larger turbo etc.
                      It runs an Autronic SMC ecu,
                      Proflex remote canister suspension and RX7 Series 4 front brakes.
                      Under body protection, 15 inch rims with Pirelli rubber.
                      Sparco seats, wheel and Fire bomb.
                      Sabelt 6 point harnesses.
                      Chromoly cage with full seam weld.
                      very professional build. I'd personally be scared ****less to rally with the genuine JDM parts on it, even there they must still be pretty hard to replace. especially seeing that fender damage. looks like you're prepared for the worst tho, excellent construction and teardown.
                      Guess who's back, back again. cable's back.. tell a friend.

Comment

Tempered steel yes.
                        Problem lies in the design.
                        If you bend a knuckle, (which I have managed to do) trying to get the spacing and reprofiling of the knuckle is hard.
                        Solution is to go to the GTR setup, or the Astina V6 knuckle.
                        new setup will see RX7 calipers, r32 rear calipers on vented discs and a pedal box with adjustable bias.
                        I have posted more photo's to my build library.

Comment

This at 2:35.
                          Not a good weekend.
                          Right angle drive busted on day 1. Day 2 put it sideways at 120kph + into an embankment.
                          Snapped the bottom of the radiator off and drove 6k out of stage.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

welcome back. hope you stick around for a while. sorry to hear about the troubles. let's see what we can figure out for you.
                            Guess who's back, back again. cable's back.. tell a friend.

Comment

In taking the engine and other bits apart, it was found that No. 3 was running lean. Head of the injector had come off.
                              Also seems we were exceeding the flow rate for the injectors. They were supposedly modified to 500cc, as the code could not be found.
                              Now on searching the injectors closer, it comes up they were just standard, and whatever mod was done had not been.

My tuner now has a nice set of Bosch M/S injectors waiting for me.

Also had the opportunity to get some new brakes.
                              296mm fronts with wilwood 4 spots. And yes, they fit under a 15 inch rim.
                              There is also room for expansion, so could go 300 if needed.

Picture shows original disc under new caliper.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X