Diff boom... round 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diff boom... round 2

Well the GTX has been off the road for over a year now since I blew the transmission up.. I finally got around to pulling it out and pulling it apart...

Has anyone dissasembled the Center diff before on a gtx? I am hoping I can swap the ring gear over from my old center diff... Unfortunatly I can't use the old center diff as a complete unit since I blew up the planetary gear in it..

with gears you want to run a matched set, they wear together uniquely.
    2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
    1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Originally posted by nerd racing View Post
      with gears you want to run a matched set, they wear together uniquely.
      I have the Origonal counter shaft as well that went with old center diff... I'll be installing that as well, but I need to swap the ring gears between center diffs... The old center diff I squashed the roll pins for planetary gear taking out the planetary.. The ring gear the planetary runs on doesn't look damaged though.. The planetary gear I have in this transmission now is ok, just when the counter shaft gear stripped it took teath off the ring gear... The planetary gear only comes into play when making sharp corners, so there isn't much worry to mixing up the gear set there...
      Last edited by crazycanadian; 03-30-2010, 09:20 AM.

Comment

So I got both center diffs apart today.. I managed to salvage them and make 1 good one out of 2 broken ones... All I need now is to find a bearing for the counter shaft and I can put the transmission back together...

What a GTX center diff looks like all torn apart..

This was the carnage from round 1... I blew the planetary up about 2 years ago..

Its a little fuzzy but you can see the broken pin sitting off to the side out of the hole...

Comment

Nice carnage Adam! Glad to see the GTX being put back together!

Comment

Yeah I am waiting for a $45 dollar bearing for the counter shaft to come in from mazda right now and then I can put it all back together.. I was pondering in the mean time about finding a use phantom grip unit and installing it in the center diff to help the awd work better when the center diff isn't locked in.. lol..

Comment

Well I got the bearing I needed.. I started putting it all back together last night.. hopefully the GTX will be up and running again by the end of next weekend...

Comment

You are a brave man tearing apart that transmission. Do you have a press or something to put those bearings back, I have read you need some kind of bench press to fit them in.

Comment

Originally posted by psiturbo View Post
                  You are a brave man tearing apart that transmission. Do you have a press or something to put those bearings back, I have read you need some kind of bench press to fit them in.
                  Its actually a pretty easy transmission to pull a part and assemble... I have access to a press and stuff at the shop I work for so that helps..

Comment

That is the next thing I want to learn how to do. The last time I opened, it was FWD, tranny some ball bearings and a spring popped out, when I was to going to put it back had no idea where they would go, but back then I did not know about CP, ended throwing it away, LOL.

Back in PR, when you buy a GTR or GTX motor, usually 1200 dollars, they will include the 4WD transmission with it. As craz as it may sound nobody wants them in the island, everyone goes the fwd route with slicks for the track.

Good job putting everything back, get that beech back on the road!

Comment

Originally posted by psiturbo View Post
                      That is the next thing I want to learn how to do. The last time I opened, it was FWD, tranny some ball bearings and a spring popped out, when I was to going to put it back had no idea where they would go, but back then I did not know about CP, ended throwing it away, LOL.

Back in PR, when you buy a GTR or GTX motor, usually 1200 dollars, they will include the 4WD transmission with it. As craz as it may sound nobody wants them in the island, everyone goes the fwd route with slicks for the track.

Good job putting everything back, get that beech back on the road!
                      Lol thats always a scary thing to have happen.. This is the second time around now that I have ripped down a GTX transmission... The FWD G series are even easier to do.. I did a write up on a phantom grip install a while ago.. I think that post is still floating around on here..

Comment

Yeah, the FWD trannies are pretty easy to work on ... good stuff Adam - looks like it will be back on the road!

Comment

Working...
                        X