zoom zoom headgasket boom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zoom zoom headgasket boom

so, apparently highway runs, +16lbs of boost, somehow = headgasket boom.
    3 days after the project car makes it to the road, shes back in the garage with half the motor torn down.
    1988 323 GTX - 16psi Daily

Pics or it didn't happen
    Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
    "Who Dey"

Comment

ohhh we got a hateeerrr!!! gimme 5 mins..

Comment

there we go... after $160 tow bill at 2am, got er into the garage, head off in under an hour and a half. head isnt warped, pistons look good, new gasket and im off.

Comment

sucks about the HG, but at least you're moving thru quickly!!!
          -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Was this all original? It sounds like too much heat or bolts not torqued down well enough/stretched. Get some ARP studs for it.

Comment

doesnt look like it was the original head gasket, and looks to be like the wrong one was installed. so i ordered the right one from the dealership today. hopefully it all goes back together well. hopefully it all goes well.

Comment

Dealerships, W/E...

Is it a metal headgasket?

Does cardboard with metal framing are junk, all metal or nothing. its hard to me to see as you do not state specs, but it does not seem a 90-94 Protege.

Comment

its an 88 323 gtx, so the stock headgaskets are full metal. i got everything back together and torqued the spec, to find that there was no compression. like, 40psi across the board. so i pulled it off again, and did the tests to figure out if it was the rings, or the head. found out it was the head, so i brought it to an engine shop. they found that the intake valves werent sealing 100%, sooo im getting an entire head refinished. new valves, valve stem seals, full valve job, decked, the works. its costing a pretty penny, but im there, might as well get it done. hopefully get it back on the road asap. im soo antsy, the nice weather is finally here and i want to drive the 323.

Comment

Should have bought 1 of my motors :] New pistons,rings,Extra turbo,blah,blah,blah.Anyways,leakdown the thing next time it'll tell you the state of your motor real good.Nick.

Comment

well the motor i bought was "fresh". all these JDM motors seem to have some sort of hack job done to them. the internals and piston walls at least look immaculate (sp?). either way, the head was going to have to get work done. when it overheated, i guess something happened to the valves. Anyways, after MANY holdups, i should have the head back tomorrow morning ready to be installed. if all goes well ill be back in business, and back to all the other problems i wanted to take care of before all this turned up.

Comment

Did you test the lifters before sending the head to the machine shop.

Usually the lifters is the culprit of not closing completely and nothing some valve lapping could have done.

Did you check they were closing well, the ghetto style?

Turn off the light and with a flashlight check each chamber for light going through when cranking the cams...

Comment

well, thanks for the tip. but i got it all figured out. and yes, it was the intake valves not sealing 100%. and thats why i wasnt seeing compression. Plus they had to take 8thou off the head? apparently the machine had to do 6 passes to get the head flat again. How much do you guys think 8thou would increase my compression by?

Comment

I am used to .30 .40 shaving, not the way you mention.

It is not big deal, in fact the car will feel more peppy because there will be more overlap.

Comment

Heh, I'm not sure that your familiar with what happened to me but this is pretty damn close. Got my engine, put it in, drove it 20 miles, wouldnt start, pulled head, rebuilt head 100%, new HG still didn't seal, pulled head again, did another HG and still ****. then said **** it and pulled a whole other engine
                              -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                              VF10 powered!
                              262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                              13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Working...
                              X