A poor man's 323 ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A poor man's 323 ;)

It's been about two months now, since I started to do...well... things... to my hatchback , and
    as I have never done something with same proportions, I regularly browse trough forums in quest
    for valuable info... and tryin' to do everything by myself.

Therefore, I assumed that someone could benefit from those "filtered" info too, so I started to Log
    almost every single thing I've done, and how I've done it. Hope it'll be somewhat helpful.

p.s. My worklog is on different place because it's easier for me to maintain it, so I'll post links to
    text and pics, instead of making a copy here at forum.

Done so far:
    Last edited by ktmsm; 04-19-2010, 01:33 AM. Reason: link's domain changed

I'm planing to get bigger wheels in a near future, so I made this little table to make my life little easyer (plus, I don't have to remember a tone of numbers )
    Last edited by ktmsm; 04-19-2010, 01:33 AM. Reason: link's domain changed

Comment

New windshield mounted

/windshield-replacement/

Comment

interesting tracking along what you've done so far....
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Cleaning ventilation system... I'm glad as hell I decided to do this... all of you 323 HB 90-94 second-third-fourth-x owners should do this ASAP!

/cleaning-ventilation-system/

Comment

Nice progress.
            -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
            VF10 powered!
            262 Whp & 257 Wtq
            13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Resolute steps in right direction!
              Is your location Croatia joke or you are really from Europe?
              But your headlight says NO!
              sigpic
              1990 323s BG 1.6i

Comment

Originally posted by labeo View Post
                Resolute steps in right direction!
                Ummm, didn't got that one... what?
                Oohh...ok, I got it! :D

Originally posted by labeo View Post
                Is your location Croatia joke or you are really from Europe?
                But your headlight says NO!
                Hehe, good point. :D
                Headlight's doesn't say "NO", they say "RARE!!" ) ... but, in all seriousness, yeah, I'm really from Europe. It only happens that I got the "American" version of 323 (thank god to that and her SOHC instead of DOHC, as it turned out - SOHC parts cost here 50% less than the same parts for DOHC engine, don't know why and, frankly, don't give a phlyin phuck, lol).
                And you should see all those confused people who try to even sit in that damn thing... first thing they all do right after opening the door, is reaching over to the seat belt in intention to detach it from the guide, in order to enter the vehicle in plain "European" way, hahaha. Some of them probably think that it's only a some fancy, cool, ingenious seat belt holder, while other even start to curse as "not only the whole car is a "wreck", that even seat belts aren't working, lool.
                You should see their faces when I start the car and the seat belts go to their regular posittion... they all watch the whole process (including turning their heads like owls, priceless hahaha), and releasing the "ooooooohhhhhhh" and/or "uuuuuummmmmmm" sounds folowed by "noooow I get ittt" conclusion. Lol... Funny as hell :D

I tell you...one day I'll film that thing and put it on boing-boing or somthin', lol.
                Last edited by ktmsm; 07-08-2010, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Interesting story ))
                  My one is equipped with SOHC too. But that 50% less cost can't compensate additional hp in DOHC ))
                  And, curiously enough, though of age of our cars the spare prices parts here aren't inverse to theirs age!
                  PS Sting has song "Englishman in New York", and your car can sing "American in Europe", :lol:
                  Last edited by labeo; 07-09-2010, 01:21 AM.
                  sigpic
                  1990 323s BG 1.6i

Comment

Well, from my point of view, and regarding my location, this 1.6 SOHC combination is just fine for daily-use. Not too much HP, but really enough. And consumption is in tolerated margins. I honestly don't know how much/less same 1.6, but DOHC, drinks in average, but I somehow doubt that it's less, as the technology is the same, and the HP is greater from the same 1.6liter.
                    If I would want to have some more racing oriented, I would rather go to GT-R, but that's the whole other story, you know.

Over here, a one liter of "EuroSuper 95" Petrol costs around 1.5 USD or around 1.14 Euro. I don't know (yet) exactly my car MPG, but let's assume it spends 8 liter on every 100 km, or roughly 31 mile per gallon, and that equals to cost of 12 USD for every 100km, and that's quite expensive for European standard. Note that 8liter/100km is just an assumption, as I read that DOHC version does 10-12 liter per every 100km... and that's quite huge consumption.

Diesel version of that same mazda with 1.7 liter engine spends around 4-6liter per 100km, but with noticeable lower HP.

So, yes, I would say this little SOHC is just fine, lol :D

As for "parts" part, I don't know the exact numbers ATM, but soon I will go to change some things on engine, so I'll let you know the prices so we can compare it. Exterior/interior stuff is much cheaper in US over ebay, than the local stores and scrap yards...,

Comment

Thank for substantial reply!
                      Yes, I'm agree with that our 1.6 SOHC is brave heart, lol. Sometimes it can start moving very fine, even "more HP" cars can't do! )) And, of course, difference with 1.6 DOHC isn't noticeable (its service isn't more expensive than ours), I mean BP DOHC - he is serious ))
                      SOHC engine torque is in lower RPM, than in DOHC variant.
                      As for scrap yards - yes, their personnel talk about such high prices, as if we come for spare parts for Lexus 2006 lol
                      sigpic
                      1990 323s BG 1.6i

Comment

Soo, here's the prices:

kn1.0 (CRO) = $5.6 (USD)

valve cover gasket $8.9
                        (serrated) drive belt $24.2
                        drive belt spanner $22.3
                        water pump $56.25
                        v-belt $26.7
                        spark-plugs $20.7
                        distribution cap and rotor $26.7 - $35.7
                        oil filter $8.0
                        air filter $13.3
                        gas filter $16.2
                        oil 10W40 (4L) $50.7

After this, it really should only be "tank and drive"...

Comment

Awesome little car you have there, glad to see you taking such good care of it.
                          1997 Protegé ES: The Power of BP

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by ktmsm View Post
                            Soo, here's the prices:
                            oil 10W40 (4L) $50.7
                            Thanks, prices are in comparable range with ours here in Ukraine.
                            What brand of oil have you filled in the engine? I use mainly mineral Ravenol, Deplhi,Addinol for example.
                            sigpic
                            1990 323s BG 1.6i

Comment

New stuff... getting car ready for registration renewal...

/headlights-polish/
                              /bodywork-part1/
                              /bodywork-part2/

Also, I managed to fu*k up the emergency brake lever, so it took me a while until I figured out how to take apart darn thing... did U know that that sh1t is rusty inside !? That's one of those places where you DON'T wanna see rust. Quick tip on checking for rusty handbrake lever - while in standard position (zero degree), try to pry a lever GENTLY toward your and toward front passenger seat. If you hear some cracking - I would recommend you to check that out.

Comment

Working...
                              X