Getting one more e12K.44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting one more e12K.44

Hey all! I am seriously considering another e12K.44.
    Right now my set-up is as follows:

Alpine CDA-9815 Head Unit (soon to be replaced by the all-new 9835)
    CDT Audio CL61a 6.5" component speakers (front)
    US Acoustics USP200 2x65W RMS (powering the CDTs)
    Alpine Type-S 6"x9" 3-way speakers (rear, powered by HU)
    Elemental Designs e12K.44 subwoofer in vented enclosure tuned to 28Hz
    TSUNAMI dB 1100D amp (600W RMS x 1 @ 2ohms OR 1100W RMS x 1 @ 1ohm)

So, I wanna get another one of those funky K series subs and start my collection.

The question is mainly directed to our friendly moderator, blue LEDz, but I wanted to start a new thread because I will post updates on my progress with some interesting pics and I thought that some of you might be interested.

Here's the question:
    blue, can you help me out with the design of the enclosure and maybe tell me what's to be expected after adding an identical sub? (the two connected in parallel for 1ohm total impedance).

Thanks!

I am not sure if I am correct but I think if you double the power you get +3dB and if you double the area of the woofer you woudl get another +3db. Blue can correct me if I am wrong! I very possibly could be. At least it was a thought.

Comment

I think if you increase power 2x you get +6dB.
      I think the formula is like this: 20xLog(power ratio)

so.. 20xLog(1200W/600W) = 20x0.301 = 6.02 dB

let's see what blue has to say

Comment

i'm actually hoping to get a 2nd e12k.44 as well.
        I was just talking to Blue about that the other day...

i look forward to all your designs and setup... as i will probably follow near your steps (so long as it's not stepping on your toes)

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
        RB springs
        Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
        MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

you're welcome to follow as they say, imitation is the ultimate form of flattery

Comment

god damnit leave the math off the board people lol! weee sounded like a mod right then didnt I? lol.... seriously no math.... I ahte math and only want to see it when I absolutly have to at school.... uness its like paycheck+bank account = yay I really hate subtraction though.... 4months saved paycheck - Alpine = yay but damn im poor again.

Comment

you're not the only poor fellow around here I'm saving up for that 9835 cuz I have to buy it before I sell my 9815... dammit...
              anyway, asylum, are you looking forward to another 300 post thread?

Comment

I just looked over at the protegeclub thread - 355 posts, BUT.... all of blue's posts are missing. why?

Comment

I'm just hoping to come up with the money to buy my first e12k.44 before they change it over from a flat cone...

Comment

you have 3 weeks to save $135
                    achievable?

Comment

I hate to say it but I'm not actually sure... money is VERY tight right now and probably will be for a couple more months. There's a chance, but I can't count on it.

Comment

was the cone on them actaully flat? I always thought it was normal and jsut had a cover over it... interesting...

Comment

it's totally flat...

Comment

Originally posted by Rider69
                            I am not sure if I am correct but I think if you double the power you get +3dB and if you double the area of the woofer you woudl get another +3db. Blue can correct me if I am wrong! I very possibly could be. At least it was a thought.

you sir are correct how it works is every time you double your displacement you gain about 6 dB's. when you add a second sub, but keep the wattage the same, you aren't doubling the displacement, you are increasing it by about 50%, since you have less force moving each sub. doubling the power on a single sub only works to a certain point. once it's maxed out, that's it. course getting a sub to full excursion at say 60 hz takes a LOT of power

Originally posted by Intruder
                            I just looked over at the protegeclub thread - 355 posts, BUT.... all of blue's posts are missing. why?

that was a covert ops mission after dealing with jason and boostd7, i had enough of those assholes, so i deemed it necessary to remove all my informative posts from that site

Originally posted by asylum24
                            was the cone on them actaully flat? I always thought it was normal and jsut had a cover over it... interesting...

nope, totally flat. it's pretty amazing they are able to keep a flat cone so rigid and so light, especially in a 15" model.

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                              blue, can you help me out with the design of the enclosure and maybe tell me what's to be expected after adding an identical sub? (the two connected in parallel for 1ohm total impedance).

Thanks!

adding a second sub, hmmmmmmm....... it'll be louder you'll gain about 6 dB's over the single 12. that should put you into the mid to high 140's on an audio control meter, especially with that much power on tap. keep in mind that if you don't already have dimming, count on having some. 1100 watts is quite a bit of power. let me know what you need help with for designing the sub enclosure, and i'll do what i can. i use excel to make 2-D diagrams of the front, top, and side for people.

Comment

Working...
                              X