Sethro's GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sethro's GT

Thought I would start a work log now that I'm working on it again and it would be nice to chronicle the progress.

July 2005 - car acquired with a thrown rod through the block and pan. Car put on back burner as I still had my 88 MX6 GT. Ordered a GTX bottom end from Wisconsin that looked like the car had burned up. Ordered a stock oil pan from yahoo group person. Engine removed and stripped down.

April 2006 - moved away on business for two years, car sat.

May 2008 - Home again, found that the original head was toast too so I the shortblock I got wasn't enough. Pulled a capri engine (auto short nose) from the scrap yard and found that it needed an overhaul too. I did yank the capri sub frame and install it on mine though.

July 2008 - sold my tacoma pickup and had ambition to get it going in a month. Ordered a miata engine from cali (92 auto 9:1, long nose) and a ton of parts from rockauto. Since it had been three years since removal I didn't get it done. Though I did get the battery in the trunk, engine installed, wiring cleaned up and connected, replaced a lot of worn parts. The trans had to come apart to get the left axle out, I have never seen one so stuck. This is pretty much what killed the project at that point.

2009 - tinkered on it a few times but work was stressful and I was laid off in August and started full time school.

December 2009 - Pulled the front suspension and brakes to replace everything. Installed KYB's, H&R springs, new wheel bearings, rotors, brake lines. Moved to the rear and stopped because school started again in January.

Spring 2010 - Started working on it on the weekends to relax. Pulled the rear suspension, cleaned up some mild rust in the top of the shock tower and installed the new struts and springs. Pulled the rear calipers and put them with the front ones to be powder coated. Popped the fuel tank access panel and found the tank is COMPLETELY full of age old gas. Not sure what I'm going to do with that, may just try to burn it.

So there's my GT's history since I've owned it, not much and I'm pretty much a slacker.
    88 323 GT - 03 Protege5 - 07 Mazda 5

Week of may 25th

Took intake manifold, fuel rail, and valve cover, bypass tube, top intake tube and all four calipers to the powdercoat shop.

Everything but the valve cover is getting coated a color that matches the stock gray of the car. Valve cover will be 60% gloss black.

Was going to do my spare throttle body but they said it would ruin it.
    88 323 GT - 03 Protege5 - 07 Mazda 5

Comment

nice, glad to see another GT being brought back to life. you should post some pictures of all this action!
      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Take this as acquired first hand knowledge. Do NOT try and run varnished gas through your engine. Do yourself a favor and drain as much as you can and use new gas. Using this fuel could cuase issues, and dirty up your fuel system. I would flush your system out as best you can.
        Mazda
        1988 Black 323 GT
        DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

Working...
        X