RS and GS differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RS and GS differences

Ok so I may be able to aquire a RS model mx3. Before anyone goes "drop a bp in it,ect ect" no that's not going to happen lol. It will most likely get parted.

I need to know if the front and rear subframes,front and rear swaybar and LCAs are the same between both models. Basically can I swap in the front and rear to get the wider stance? I have a bud the did a bp swap into his GS but I'm not sure if the v6 would go into the RS without a problem...aka axle bind.

If I get this car the parts will go dirt cheap so look out for a part out thread
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

I know the rear subs are the same, the fronts and LCA I am 99% sure they are different, because the GS has a lower front tie bar to tighten up the front end of the car with the V6 in it. I know that the subframes on the front are interchangable, so if you swapped in the gs subframe in the rs, you would be good to go. As for axel bind if you use the rs subframe, you won't bind, but it would be sloppy.

Before I did my build, I was going to drop in a KLZE into my RS, but it was too much work to do it right.

Hope this helps Chris.

Jeff

Shop 506-577-6708
    cell 506-381-3503
    email danny@jdracing.ca

Comment

Thanks Jeff. Maybe I'll drop my bp setup into the rs and run it till I swap the v6 in the pro and then sell the mx3 with bp
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

+1 for your last idea.

No one wants RS parts. They are like a base model 323.

Comment

Easy there Pox...oh, wait......you are right!!! lol.....Mine was an RS but it has more GS parts on it than RS parts so.............+1 for Pox and +2 for Chris.

Shop 506-577-6708
          cell 506-381-3503
          email danny@jdracing.ca

Comment

how much for the whole RS? what's wrong with it?
            2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
            1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Yea, my 3 is almost done with my gs parts swap. GS doors/hatch/rear discs. Fun stuff.

Comment

Popped motor. I haven't received a call at all or email. Sux. Hopefully the guy just didn't look at his emails. Its cheap. Won't say how cheap but its cheap enough for me to buy it/swap my bp setup in then sell it and make a 500% or more profit after my car is done
                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

SOO are the LCAs different or the same?? ive seen on here and on MX-3.com that they are the same and then on there and here ive seen someone say they arent the same!!

I need to know. Are the GS and RS LCAs the same??
                  sigpic

Comment

From what I've read, they're both the same.
                    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

gs parts and rs parts are interchangable. if putting a v6 in an rs. differences are in the passenger sway mount bracket. gs is wider. the crossmember. gs motor mounts at least rear is spaced out farther. and that is it. i had rs knuckles on my gs and had no problems and mix and match other parts and no problems with binding or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Pox View Post
                        Yea, my 3 is almost done with my gs parts swap. GS doors/hatch/rear discs. Fun stuff.
                        why swap doors. i understand hatch for the rear wiper, so probably going to need fuse box and wiring for it if you want it function. but there is no difference in doors. unless the rs 's were just in bad shape.

Comment

My RS doors had manual windows. The GS's are power windows/locks.

Comment

rsgs

why didn't you just swap regualtors and handles. all mx3's come with the hole for the handle and everything. all you have to do is swap the regualtors and or door harness. but whatever is easier for you.

Comment

Was much easier to swap the whole door as I bought the GS parts car. And the door skin on the RS was rusted to ****.

Comment

Working...
                              X