Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP!!! stubborn automatic transmission safety lock!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!!! stubborn automatic transmission safety lock!

HELP!!!

I have a problem that renders my 95 Mazda Protege useless for periods. No mechanic seems willing to fix it -- and Mazda doesn't have a clue as to what the problem is. I've been surfing the web for answers for a week, and though almost every Mazda forum lists this problem SOMEWHERE (Most of 2000 models actually) - none of the posts have been replied to! I can't find ANY answers - and I am at the end of my rope!

I have a 95 Mazda Protege, 120,000 miles, automatic transmission, one owner (me) and for no apparent reason (its happening in the extreme cold weather now - but has no pattern of happening in any specific conditions) the car gets locked in PARK. Superman could not get the button on the side of the gear knob to go in to let you shift to N, R, D,....

However, sometimes after considerable time and effort, one can get the rascal to slip out of park by rocking the car out of the range that its stuck in, in combination with hitting the brake at the right time with the right amount of pressure AND giggling the gear shift knob. (My mechanic explained that the problem is with the safety locking mechanism that prevents the car from getting knocked into D by a child -- and that by getting the car out of the range the transmission is locked into- you can sort of get the car free from the defunct locking mechanism. But, he also says there is nothing you can do to fix it -- which just doesn't sit well with me. He says it will eventually stop on its own. And it HAS in the past. but I have to DRIVE the car!)

The local Mazda dealership doesn't know what safety feature my mechanic may be referring to - and says they could replace the transmission - but it probably wouldn't do much of anything (except cost an arm and a leg). They "just don't know". I;ve driven two hours to another dealership to get a similar answer.

ANY ANY ANY suggestions are welcome! Please reply if you even have an IDEA. Thank you!

margaret@sunflower.com
    Last edited by maxine; 01-30-2004, 02:52 PM. Reason: addition of information

i would think they would be able to replace the mechanism....

2000 White Protege LX
    Sumitomo 195/60HR14
    2 x Polk DB570 (5"x7")
    Kenwood KDC-MP522 Head Unit
    Kenwood KAC-7251 (800 W) Amp
    Audiobahn AWC10T x 2 Subs
    Kenwood Music Keg
    Black Widow Keyless Entry
    Intake- Custom SRI
    Clear Corner Lights
    APC Clear Tail Lights

Comment

one would think so

Originally posted by Brad
      i would think they would be able to replace the mechanism....
      ONE WOULD THINK, yes. That seems obvious, But as I mentioned - no mechanic seems willing to touch it (or even say anything -- just groan and walk away) and Mazda doesn't have a clue what I am talking about or what a car is for the most part. Logically - yes - that would be the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by maxine
        ONE WOULD THINK, yes. That seems obvious, But as I mentioned - no mechanic seem is willing to touch it (or even say anything -- just groan and walk away) and Mazda doesn't have a clue what I am talking about or what a car is for the most part. Logically - yes - that would be the answer.

I just wish you the best of luck with that...
        Your best bet. Go to a junkyard.. and get a replacement safty mechanism and then install it.
        photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

this may or may not have been suggested to you but teh problem seems none to difficult to me.
          - what your describing to me sounds not like a problem with the lock, but with teh connection between teh locking mechanism and the break pedal. It's loose/stretched/bent. contact isn't great so it takes some wiggling to get her to let go. Does your brake pedal ahve any play in it from side to side ? just throwing ideas out there. Id say get friendly witha a mechanic, and have him take a look, or read up on teh mechanism itself. I'd say teh problem deffinatly lies between the brake and the mechanism itself.
          Visit My Garage

Comment

Hey,
            Where do you live? If you by chance live near me i can fix it for you. I am know the protege automatic transmission shifter system very well...I have a spare "safety cable" that i just took out of my automatic because I am doing a manual conversion. I also have many more automatic shifter parts that you could need aswell. In the mean time here is a simple solution. .....
            On the top right of the shifter plate there is alittle plastic cover kind of in the shape of a square... Pope it open and then take a screw driver and push straight down into the hole until you feel something give. This is a manual release for the safety lock....You can do this when ever the problem occurs and it will let you shift out of park...
            You could do this for the rest of the time you own the car. However it may get annoying. But seriously if you live even remotely near me i can fix it for you in an hour or two.
            Let me know where you are located.....
            -Nick Bloem

Oh yea by the way. It is NOT a problem with your transmission!! Dont be tricked by the dealership!!!!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by OCD-SPEED; 01-30-2004, 11:30 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

See I knew the problem.... just not how to fix it :D Thanls OCD... I'll add that one to the knowledge bank as well.
              Visit My Garage

Comment

yo, OCD, where abouts in NC are ya, i am just north of Raleigh.

2000 White Protege LX
                Sumitomo 195/60HR14
                2 x Polk DB570 (5"x7")
                Kenwood KDC-MP522 Head Unit
                Kenwood KAC-7251 (800 W) Amp
                Audiobahn AWC10T x 2 Subs
                Kenwood Music Keg
                Black Widow Keyless Entry
                Intake- Custom SRI
                Clear Corner Lights
                APC Clear Tail Lights

Comment

I live in Rocky Mount, I go to school in Louisburg. So yea im right near you.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X