Suspension upgrades for a GTX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension upgrades for a GTX

Are there any lowering/performance springs and struts available for a BF GTX? ive seen talk of H&R springs but don't see any for the 4wd model. I did find a spot for tokico hps i think. Or am i just missing them. Also one mention that Racinglogic.com makes a pair of coilovers but i don't know a price.

Pretty much my springs and struts are toast and i need to replace them, im looking for a good performance boost but nothing all that crazy.
    thanks in advance
    Josh
    '88 GTX

Get in touch with K-Sport USA supplier & get on they're case about carrying BG GTX struts.A car that was never sold in N America.Ask them to bring a few sets over for the BF GTX,Ive called a few times already.

Comment

Pedder's.. I liked them for the street.. call one of the dealers and talk to them.. the website is about useless.

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
      1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
      1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
      1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
      1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

cool thanks, yea it seemed like they had some worthwhile stuff but i couldn't find anything lol
        '88 GTX

Comment

though i do have some ground control coilovers already. there aren't by chance some cheapish adjustable struts that will work are there? illuminas or something of the like.
          '88 GTX

Comment

I havent' seen BF illuminas in a very very long time. I have BG/MX-6 Illuminas on mine... but i have BG knuckles and am heavily modified now. You may be able to make them work with some shimming.. I dont even know which knuckles are which in my box full of them.

1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead

Comment

so short of custom coilovers there is pretty much just tokico hps?
              '88 GTX

Comment

Well there's a few other solutions out there.. mostly hybriding old blow struts and using inserts made for other cars... i don't remember what they are off hand though.

Comment

i recently just re-did my rear suspension using some blown GAB struts, and some adjustable 1993 MR2 front inserts. Gutted the gabs, put the mr2 insert in which was an amazing fit, no shimming or spacers required, and drilled out my top strut mount to fit. works like a charm. Threw on the GC coilover sleeve kit and now its amazing. HUGE difference in performance. Now i have to do the front.
                  1988 323 GTX - 16psi Daily

Comment

Who's make of adjustable did you use?

Comment

me i had a bilstein full ajustable coil over for BMW in the insert this very very hard !

Comment

Originally posted by Talkurt View Post
                        Are there any lowering/performance springs and struts available for a BF GTX? ive seen talk of H&R springs but don't see any for the 4wd model.
                        I whipped this suspension together for my GTX back when it was our rally recce vehicle. It looks crude but refinement doesn't win races. The inserts are revalved Bilsteins orginally from a 1988 Chevy Camaro.

Cheers,
                        Scott F. Williams
                        Team Director
                        Usually Sideways Rally Team
                        www.usrallyteam.com

Comment

i ended up finding a guy in florida that imported me a set of ksports that where correct for the chassis and pure bolt on.
                          '88 GTX

Comment

Originally posted by Talkurt View Post
                            i ended up finding a guy in florida that imported me a set of ksports that where correct for the chassis and pure bolt on.
                            How did they work out? Does the car handle and ride reasonably well? Are these dampers rebuildable?
                            Scott F. Williams
                            Team Director
                            Usually Sideways Rally Team
                            www.usrallyteam.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scott@USRT View Post
                              How did they work out? Does the car handle and ride reasonably well? Are these dampers rebuildable?
                              yep, they are rebuildable. The old struts and springs that where on before were completely blown so the ride is massively better, but that doesn't tell you much. i haven't gotten an alignment yet on the car so i cant answer fully. the little i have driven it feels pretty predictable. so far i am happy with them. the fitment was perfect. took about 10 mins a corner to put in lol.

im still having some pretty nasty oversteer. but that i think is more a problem with the swaybars or the alignment.
                              '88 GTX

Comment

Working...
                              X