Illegal In Dash Monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Illegal In Dash Monitors

I just spoke with a few of my friends because I was going to put a In Dash Monitor in front dash and they told me that it was actually illegal. They said that nothing can be past the driver and passenger seats of that sort while driving. So basically you could only use this while parked.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Thanks
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/mazda99protege

yup, a while ago I was having dinner and I heard it on the news... I don't know if it's really news. Maybe the laws in some states allowed it until recently.

Comment

I believe it is illegal to have it on when driving. But you probably shouldn't be watching a movie while your driving down the road.
      02 Protege ES

Comment

I think it is illegal to have video playing on them while moving and some even have it built in that while the car is in Drive or moving it will not play video. The other functions (touch screen and such) are still allowed.

Comment

So if you have something like the Sony XAV-7W that has the monitor that would be illegal also right?

I think I better get away from the In Dash Monitor up front until I check with the local laws.
          http://www.cardomain.com/id/mazda99protege

Comment

well the law acttually is that no moving light that can distract the driver be ne where in the car where it will distract the driver but guess wut! cops dont care ur not gonna go to jail for having a dvd player in ur car
            i is dumb

Comment

I guess laws differ in each state and locale.

Comment

Originally posted by skr33t_rac3r
                well the law acttually is that no moving light that can distract the driver be ne where in the car where it will distract the driver but guess wut! cops dont care ur not gonna go to jail for having a dvd player in ur car

my buddy has gotten 2 tickets so far for his in dash screen. basically if the driver can see it, and the car is moving, expect a ticket. technically any screen that the driver can see has to be connected to the E-brake. without the E-brake pulled, the screens won't play. having that connected can save you from a ticket, sometimes. but if a cop can see a video playing on an in dash screen, they'll ticket you. the touch screen controllers are allowed, depending on the technical parts of the law. as long as it's not a movie playing, you can usually always get out of a ticket. just remember to be cool with the cops, show them that the e-brake is hooked up so you can't watch a DVD, and tell them it just controls your system

Comment

I read somewhere that they are illegal unless they are being used to help drive, aka gps, rear view camera.

Comment

Originally posted by zerocover
                    I read somewhere that they are illegal unless they are being used to help drive, aka gps, rear view camera.
                    then what if the dvd playing is "the fast and the furious" or "2 fast 2 furious"? that helps you drive... doesn't it? I guess you could get away with thar. lol j/k

Comment

I heard actually that youcan have a screen upfront and it can be playing movies... jsuta s long as the driver cant see the screen.

Comment

I know a guy that had his monitor pointed towrd his wife.
                        He got pulled over and got a ticket anyway, doent matter if you cant see it.

Comment

thats gay... funny thing the other night when I was in traffic from ice and **** Iw as watching the Dave Mathews DVD on my laptop and this cop was sitting next to me i the other lane watching it with me lol

Comment

Originally posted by asylum24
                            thats gay... funny thing the other night when I was in traffic from ice and **** Iw as watching the Dave Mathews DVD on my laptop and this cop was sitting next to me i the other lane watching it with me lol
                            really? that's friggin ridiculous!

Comment

well really what else was I gonna do... I had been sitting there for 4 hours already and I actaully startedp laying a game on my laptop and that got boring so I watched it... I dont think he cared though since we moved a few feet every 4 minutes and then would stop and wait some more

Comment

Working...
                              X