1988 323 gtx or 92 323?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 323 gtx or 92 323?

Okay, here's the thing, I'm new to the sight, and have very minimal knowlege about mazda. The closest thing to a mazda I ever owned was a 89 probe gt turbo. Right now I have 1000 cash to get started, then I have about 700 every 2 weeks to put into the car. I need it done by september for school.

Now I'm looking to buy a 323 HB project to turn into my DD/ project. I have found two semi close to me and could use some help deciding what to get.

The first is a 1992 MAZDA 323. It has 116k miles, 5 speed, runs and drives great. I know if I got this car I would deff wanna do a swap. I want something with a lill speed and power, a turbo would be nice. Its just Idk what engines I can put in it and will bolt up to the trans. If you know a bad ass set up, I could replace the trans an engine, as long as everything will bolt up.. They are asking $700 for it.

The second is a 1988 323 gtx I really like how its AWD, and has the turbo installed already. It is a project someone started but never finished though.. WHat it needs is seats installed (i'm a welder, sure it wouldn't be hard to rig something up), coolant filled back up and burped because he replaced the radiator with an aluminum one, few vaccum lines run, and an exhaust cuz it comes straight off the turbo ( I saw the forum about putting the vj-11 on a capri, I'd prolly do that. The car also comes with stotted and drilled rotors that are not installed. I know the rotors sit behind the hub, that prolly requires a full hub , disassembly, and probably a wheel bearing replacement. It will start up and can be heard though. It is also $700.

So I guess I need some advice from people who have done some of the work to thease cars, and let me know what you think would be easier, cheaper, and have better preformance on the street. thanks for all the help, I plan on picking one of the two up soon. so please let me know any info so I don't get screwed in a deal, or get into something way over my head.

Thank U,

- Brad dA

i'd say that the turbo awd car is a pretty clear winner there.
    93 323, 94 MX-3, 04 MSM, 83 Jeep Cherokee, 87 b2000
    www.gunshowracing.com

Comment

I own both a 92 HB 323 and an 88 GTX... For $700 if the GTX will drive away almost and isn't full of rust that'll be the one to get... If you can try and get it to a point where you can take it for a quick drive around the block before buying it.. You want to make sure the transmission is in pretty good working order.. they are the weak link in the AWD cars and are becoming more difficult to buy and fix... The brakes you don't have to replace the wheel bearings, but you are right you need to dissasemble the hub... that involves a press.. If you look around the forum you'll find info on how its done...The GTX's usually rust out around the wheel wells where the bumpers bolt up and the lower rockers behind the doors.. But have a good look all over..

For ideas on the 92 if you look around at the BG work logs you'll see all the kinds of stuff people are doing to the cars.. There are lots of options..... It'll be a little easier to find parts for it then the AWD car..

Comment

+1 on the GTX but know you are getting in the deep end of the pool. All the hassles of an exotic with none of the looks. You'll get out what you put into it but it'll demand blood.
        '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
        '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
        http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I say buy'em both. Use the 92 for just what it is...reliable low cost no worries transportation for school....which I think you will appreciate down the road when you need your time for studies instead of car repair or modifications. Put the GTX aside for later and work on it as you can. If all is good with the GTX you could even part it out if you change you mind and get your money back. This would still leave you with a BG car(the 92) that will take a "bolt in" swap with the BPT motor. The BPT swap into the BF GTX is not a bolt in project. My .02...
          Clay

Comment

okay, cool. I've decided to go with the gtx for now.. the 92 is my buddy's car, so he'll have it for sale for a while. I'll be picking it up this weekend sometime.. will post pics to this threads. Thanks for all the help!

-Brad

Comment

Working...
            X