B6 to B6T swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B6 to B6T swap

as title, i've just tried to search around this forum i dun seems to have any luck (i may have missed it)

i've a 1988 GT 4-dr thinking bout swapping it to my 1986 GT hatch (non turbo)

anything that i need to be aware? i bet it's not a simple bolt on swap but i think some of you guys may have done that and can give me some tips on how to get it started

thanks guys!

I did one maybe a decade ago,that one was a automatic dx to manual swap.I found swapping in the turbo dash the hardest part.Obviously the harness needs to be changed.The 86 gt hatch has the turbo rad support set up if im not mistaken(intercooler placement etc).Does the 86gt come witrh discs in rear?We don't see those anymore on the east coast.

Comment

Originally posted by kenken325 View Post
      as title, i've just tried to search around this forum i dun seems to have any luck (i may have missed it)

i've a 1988 GT 4-dr thinking bout swapping it to my 1986 GT hatch (non turbo)

anything that i need to be aware? i bet it's not a simple bolt on swap but i think some of you guys may have done that and can give me some tips on how to get it started

thanks guys!
      Did you happen to buy the really mint 86 GT that was listed on criaglist a month ago??

I did the swap on my old 89 and it was as easy as unbolting **** from the 4door gt car and bolting it into my car...

You need the motor, motor mounts and associated brackets, the shift linkage and shifter, axles, engine bay harness to the battery with the fuse box, engine bay harness to the computer with all the vacume lines and soliniods, fuel pump... If you want the little turbo light to work swap over the gauge cluster..

I never changed my dash of my body harness wiring.. everything was plug and play and worked... including the little turbo light..

If you get lost I live in surrey I could probably give you a hand..

Comment

nickz: yes it does come with disk brakes on my GT hatch non-turbo. but i'm not too sure whether both are the same i may take the turbo one if the caliper and rotor are more heavy duty.

crazycanadian: tats awesome! and no i didn't take the craiglist's GT it's just too overprice. i actually went and take a look at it myself coz my frd was interested and mine is a better condition than his

so looks like i've to rip out the whole car and transfer everything to my hatch am i correct?

i was still contemplating whether i should get this sedan to run and drive it first or do the swap? it'd be easier that way but the engine itself needs a distributor and i'll need to replace the master cylinder coz brake loosing pressure at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by kenken325 View Post
          nickz: yes it does come with disk brakes on my GT hatch non-turbo. but i'm not too sure whether both are the same i may take the turbo one if the caliper and rotor are more heavy duty.

crazycanadian: tats awesome! and no i didn't take the craiglist's GT it's just too overprice. i actually went and take a look at it myself coz my frd was interested and mine is a better condition than his

so looks like i've to rip out the whole car and transfer everything to my hatch am i correct?

i was still contemplating whether i should get this sedan to run and drive it first or do the swap? it'd be easier that way but the engine itself needs a distributor and i'll need to replace the master cylinder coz brake loosing pressure at all times.
          If you need parts for the engine I have my complete B6T swap out of my 89 sitting here.. I can help loan you some stuff to see if the sedan will run.. at least then you'll know for sure what you need and how well it'll work before you do the swap... I would definatly get the sedan running first though..

I am wondering if we are talking about the same GT.. the one I went to look at was $1500.. it was a white 86 hatch... B6 motor..the car was the guys dads car.. his dad had bought it new off the lot and he still had all the recipets from the day they got it.. besides needing a clutch it was a mint car..

Comment

Originally posted by crazycanadian View Post
            If you need parts for the engine I have my complete B6T swap out of my 89 sitting here.. I can help loan you some stuff to see if the sedan will run.. at least then you'll know for sure what you need and how well it'll work before you do the swap... I would definatly get the sedan running first though..

I am wondering if we are talking about the same GT.. the one I went to look at was $1500.. it was a white 86 hatch... B6 motor..the car was the guys dads car.. his dad had bought it new off the lot and he still had all the recipets from the day they got it.. besides needing a clutch it was a mint car..
            sound like you've everything all ready to go! the GT sedan is sitting at south surry and since the distributor is gone i've no way to get it started. only hopes is to tow the vehicle somewhere and start fixing the distributor for the hopes of getting it start and we're laughing.

yes thats EXACTLY it! i went and take a look at almost feels like the guy dun wanna sell his car since he's so attached to it. there're rust spot on the rear wheel arch but nothing major. the driver side seat has a bit of rip but nothing major.
            Last edited by kenken325; 07-10-2010, 03:59 AM.

Comment

South surrey isn't far from where I live.. if you want one day I'll come out with you and bring my dizzy and we can try it.. see if the car will run.. that'll save you a tow...

Comment

Originally posted by crazycanadian View Post
                South surrey isn't far from where I live.. if you want one day I'll come out with you and bring my dizzy and we can try it.. see if the car will run.. that'll save you a tow...
                the vehicle actually located at around creasent beach area we can definately give it a shot to see if it runs first but unfortunately the vehicle needs a master cylinder i dun think i can drive it away yet

maybe we can exchange info thru PM so we can talk a little bit further?

Comment

Working...
                X