more power or tranny upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more power or tranny upgrade?

i raced my friends acura integra gsr w/ headers and intake yesterday. As i was expecting i lost for about a foot away from his rear bumper. I'd say the gap between the gsr and the 323 wasn't that bad considering i only have a pacesetter headers and 8.5 mm magnecore wires, catco cat. stock mx3 muffler. no performance air intake nor advance timing.

here's wut i want to know... is my stock b6 tranny clutch slipping? even if its only a year old? can it handle the power of my bp motor? should i replace my b6 tranny to lx tranny not for reliability but for performance.

i talked to this guy before. I think his from Puerto rico. He has a 323 w/ bp motor, intake, exhaust muffler but his tranny he said it was modified. He was running 15.00 at a 1/4 mile w/ 13" rims. thats crazy fast and i would say i believe the guys cuz my friend (gsr) is running the same 15 flat and im 1 foot away from him only but wut kind of tranny mod would this be? ( he woudn't tell me)

the lx tranny is geared shorter. So it would help. The lx tranny is stronger than the tranny you have as well. Maybe your friend had sometype of internals put into his tranny or something. Im pretty sure that the tranny he has stock could with hold the power required to run a 15 tho.

PS a 15 in the 1/4 is nothing near crazy fast.
    Eat ****.

Comment

to modify a tranny cost a ****load of money. and you were racing in a 323 with a b6? well it is the clutch that is the problem not the tranny. you can swap for the 1.8L sohc flywheel. that gives you a larger clutch to work with.
      When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
      Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
      Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
      So his engine he goosed
      With much too much boost,
      And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

but isn't the 1.8 sohc flywheel kinda big for the 1.6 tranny? cuz the 1.8 dohc flywheel is way too big for the b6 clutch....

Comment

Originally posted by 91ProtegeLX
          the lx tranny is geared shorter. So it would help. The lx tranny is stronger than the tranny you have as well. Maybe your friend had sometype of internals put into his tranny or something. Im pretty sure that the tranny he has stock could with hold the power required to run a 15 tho.

PS a 15 in the 1/4 is nothing near crazy fast.
          i know 15's is not crazy fast but fast enough for the money especially if u can buy a 323 for $300 and slap a $75 bp and $40 for the ECU. thats less than $500 for a 15 sec vehicle unlike the honda's that i use to own i spend $2000 for the car and a $750 for the sohc vtec $100 ECU etc....u spend more to hit that 15's like my damn protege 5 i have to shoot 75 shot just for it to hit 14.9!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
            how are you going to enjoy the performance of your car if it's not reliable? upgrading the tranny would be the best thing
            ahh...well i only have just alil over 100hp at the wheels i dont think i would need a lx tranny for reliability. Im pretty sure my car hitting 15's w/ the b6 tranny will still be reliable...

Comment

Originally posted by 1ofdfew323
              ahh...well i only have just alil over 100hp at the wheels i dont think i would need a lx tranny for reliability. Im pretty sure my car hitting 15's w/ the b6 tranny will still be reliable...
              Yeah.. If you're just hitting 100whp I dont think that swaping to an LX tranny will make a lot of a difference. Your tranny is still good.
              Unless ....you go turbo, then that would be a good excuse to swap trannies.
              Past: 1994 White Protege DX ~DEAD~

Current: 05' Onyx Black Mazda 6 'S' ~Bone Stock~

Originally posted by TheMAN
              you MUST keep in mind the 2nd gen is the bastard child of the proteges...

Comment

Originally posted by 1ofdfew323
                but isn't the 1.8 sohc flywheel kinda big for the 1.6 tranny? cuz the 1.8 dohc flywheel is way too big for the b6 clutch....
                no they are the same tranny. do some research and you would find this out yourself. as with all automatic trannies on the first gen are the same.
                When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                So his engine he goosed
                With much too much boost,
                And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Have you heard about the Phantom grip? I guess thats what he had. The fact that for us 323 w/ BP05 the magic for better 1/4 time is in the 60 feet. Having a Phantom grip will show major improvements.

Besides, Phantom Grip is not that expensive, I can't tell if thats what the guy had, but have heard from other buddies of mine who are from PR that using the PG gives that extra edge and still make the car look "stock".

Comment

u see? I told u? U be poppin up all my old threads n ****. O well...

How much can u get that Pgrip? and is there any LSD for the b6 tranny?

Comment

Phantom Grip for 323

http://www.spmotorsports.com/ATCmisc_lsd_mazda.html

My recommendation; go to any junk yard, open up an old tranny and practice b4 performin surgery on yours.

I have my old B6 tranny; I took it out when I did the swap of the BP05. It was running good in the white 323. Have even the engine, clutch slave etc.

Make me an offer...

Comment

So this will make my differential into a limited slip? For just 330 w/ the upgraded spring kit?

Comment

Working...
                        X