B6t electrical problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B6t electrical problem

So I found a 323 gt with a b6t for sale on craigs list pretty close to where I live for cheep only thing is its not running. I went and looked at it and talked to the guy and he said the head cracked because of the head studs so he replaced the head. Once he got it back from the mechanic who did the work, it wouldnt start now. It turns over but just wont fire. Its clean and im contemplating buying it but I figured id ask you guys what you think the problem could be. Thay said its probably some small electrical problem. I think its that or some fuel issue. Any help on this would be awesome! Im probably going to buy it. One more thing. There was one ground wire on the pass side not hooked up to anything. It was connected on the Chassis but nothing else. Thanks!

Could very well be a ground wire issue. Could be a switch. Could be a relay. Could be a problem in the distributor, etc. etc.

Bite the bullet and buy it.

Comment

Just got the car today and im super syked! The guy did say its been siting in his garage since 04 so the chassis is in awesome condition. Has very minimal rust. Im thinking that since he did have the head replaced and the timing belt done to that maybe its 180* out and thats why it wont start but thats just speculation. I did notice that when i hooked up the battery i heard a constant ticking noise for some round solinoid thing on the fire wall. Dont know what its called sorry. There is a ground wire on the pass side that is hooked up to the chassis but thats it, could anyone tell me whhere thats supposed to go? Thanks in advance.

Comment

well do the obvious first, check to see if theres spark, fuel, compression etc. those will narrow down what it could be. if theres no spark, then its electrical. No fuel, could be injectors, fuel pump, etc. Low compression could be a lot of fun. If the head was replaced, can you find out if it was checked for warping/ bad valves. I know when i blew my headgasket and the engine was overheated the head warped and caused veeery low compression and it wouldnt start, even with a fresh headgasket.

after you check the three main things, let us know how it goes and we can help you further from there.
        1988 323 GTX - 16psi Daily

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Today I pulled the spark plugs and theyre straight up new and i didnt see any kind of wetness. I unscrued the pressure release bolt on the fuel rail and there was absolutely no pressure. A little bit of fuel trickled out but not much. I will check the spark probly tomorrow or this weekend, when ever i can get an extra set of hands. Is there a way i can check the compression my self? Also what about the timing? I took some pics im gonna try and up load them for you guys asap. Thanks again.

Comment

If the head was removed, check the timing of the cam gears. Do you have a FSM?

Comment

I dont have a FSM. I need to get one! Is there one in particular you guys recomend?

The other day my friend and I did some diagnosing and we found out that its not getting any spark. So we did some research and we came to the conclusion that the ignition moduel on the distributer is bad and the prongs did look a little wore out. I also pulled the distribuler and the shaft did look pretty rough. It looked dark brown and it was gritty like sand paper almost. Im thinking it would be best just to replace the whole unit. We also did a compression test. Now im not totally sure what the b6t is supposed to be but every cylinder came out even at about 57 ish. Just under 60. We ened up renting the tester from autozone and im not quite sure how your supposed to get that thing in there good because the plugs are so deep down and the tester didnt want to screw in real tight. the hose was on a free swivel deal. I think we did alright though.

Comment

So i got my distributer a few days ago and put it in and it turnes out that that is not the problem. The engine did the same thing it did before. It cranks but just wont fire and start. I checked the timing and its all good. My uncle and I took an electrical tester and tested all the fuses and connecter peices to our knowledge and it all seems to have power. Were kind of on the bench with this thing.
                Any suggestions would be really appreciated! The ultimate problem is its not getting any spark. coil pack is new, cap and rotor is new, distributer new, plugs and wires new. Help me out guys.

Comment

All engine grounds intact???? Main relay???
                  Clay

Comment

Unplug your ecu and check that all of the ground wires have continuity to ground. On 2 of my cars they didn't and it started right up as soon as I grounded those wires

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk
                    12 cbr250r: daily ride
                    01 saab 9-3: daily
                    98 gsxr 1100: for sale
                    93L: money pit/ space waster
                    92GL: low and slow beater
                    90?: the rust free shell
                    89LX: swapping to rust free shell
                    89L: for sale
                    89L: parts
                    87 conquest: dohc 4g64 swap underway
                    76+80 vw dashers: for sale

Comment

Could you tell me where all the ground wires are located. I know on the chassis but where exactly? I did unplug the ECU and checked everything black with my tester. Am I supposed to have power to all grounds because i noticed two did light up and two didnt. I also claened up what looked to me to be grounds on the chassis ( those white plastic little squares mounted on the chassis) They have a multi prong peice that slides out and i just grabed some sand paper and cleaned them up but didnt do anything.

Wheres the main relay? I need to check that too.

I am going to get a FSM pretty soon. Do you guys recomend a certain one? Thanks.

Comment

The blk wires in ecu connectors 1,3 and one of the wires in 2 should go strait to ground and not have voltage. The other black wire in con 2 is for your o2 sensor. This is according to a Mitchell service manual I don't have a fsm.
                        12 cbr250r: daily ride
                        01 saab 9-3: daily
                        98 gsxr 1100: for sale
                        93L: money pit/ space waster
                        92GL: low and slow beater
                        90?: the rust free shell
                        89LX: swapping to rust free shell
                        89L: for sale
                        89L: parts
                        87 conquest: dohc 4g64 swap underway
                        76+80 vw dashers: for sale

Comment

So i ended up taking it to my mechanic and it turns out my ECU is fried. He said power was going in but nothing was going out. So depending on the price he gives me, I maybe on the look out for an ECU.

Comment

if your looking to upgrade i have a gforce ecu if your interested.
                            1988 323 GTX - 16psi Daily

Comment

I think I also have a GT/ GTX ecu on hand, stock or Rocketchipped, PM me
                              1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
                              1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
                              www.werbatfik.com

Comment

Working...
                              X