Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alright, I quit talking about it, and finally did SOMETHING to the car myself...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright, I quit talking about it, and finally did SOMETHING to the car myself...

I went out today, and changed the brake pads..
    First one was tricky, other ones were a lot easier. The scraping noise the car used to make when yuou drove it is gone now, one of the old pads had been worn down to the metal, and ....ugh, dont even wanna think about it.

btw, theMAN , I know for a fact the rear are drums.

thanks for yelling at me...

good job the drum shoes will be a pain in the ass to change compared to the pads
    i is dumb

Comment

haha, i know, with the springs and everything...

I feel so important! lol

Comment

So you have a dx or se protege, Good your learning. woot

Comment

dx

Comment

thats good kid..
            By the time you get your license and finally drive you'll know how to repair things on your own car, you wont have to pay anybody to do it.
            Past: 1994 White Protege DX ~DEAD~

Current: 05' Onyx Black Mazda 6 'S' ~Bone Stock~

Originally posted by TheMAN
            you MUST keep in mind the 2nd gen is the bastard child of the proteges...

Comment

haha, i know, thats what bothers me, is when i see my mom fork over money to people to do stuff....thats about when i decided to join this board lol...havent spent but parts money since

Comment

Chris, if it makes you feel better...
                I'm 21. Obviously I know more about DRIVING a car than you do, because I've been doing it for 7 years, but you know as much about repairing and modding as I do now, I got a late start. By the time you're the age of most of us here, you will be far beyond where we are now.

Comment

encouragement! thanks! lol, I am going to go buy a haynes manual today, if I cant find it at AZ, i might see if they could order it. It's just that'll be the last of my money, and i really need to get my digicam.

Comment

Just curious, did you change the rotors as well ? If one of the pads was down to bare metal then you should change the rotor, I'm sure it didn't feel so silky smooth. This can cause serious vibrating in the pedal when applying the brakes. I'm sure a badly worn rotor will wear down the pads much faster as well.

As for the rears, one of the most important things to remember is do one wheel at a time, I'm not sure where you are doing this, if you are jacking it up, most likely you are doing one at a time. It's great to have the whole rear end jacked up, with both wheels/drums off. You dismantle one side, and you can use the otherside as a point of reference. It helps out for the first time.

Or you can get LX brakes and only have to worry about one 10mm bolt each time you want to swap out the pads, rear disks rock hardcore
                    00 dakota 4x4
                    90 crx si - ls/vtec

Comment

nope, the rotors werent too bad, they are to be replaced when I change the pads again..

im using a hydraulic jack, and then jack stands. I can lift both wheels at one, but yesterday io just did one at a time

Comment

Wow, didn't have any trouble getting the drums off? Took me a long time to get those suckers off.
                        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

haha, I havent done the drum shoes, just the brake pads...

i am dreading changing the shoes

Comment

Working...
                          X