My 94 Protege DX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 94 Protege DX

Just bought earlier this week for $800. Not bad if you ask me.

I plan on replacing those god awful speakers and the stereo headunit as well. The speakers are actually too small and the installer had to drill an extra non-factory hole to screw it in place. And they're too deep and don't even let the windows down all the way. The headunit doesn't even power on either.

There's a dash of rust towards the front of the passenger door under the black trim. I'm thinking knocking it out, sanding it, and body filler. It's not big, but it will be soon. (I own the black Jeep Wrangler as well in the background, and that thing is a rust bucket if I ever saw one.)

I'm thinking of getting the clear coat back on it as well. May end up repainting it on the cheap to experiment with for practice when I re-do the Jeep.

Pretty clean engine bay as well. The only issue with the vehicle to make it undrivable for more than 5 mins rests in here. I'm thinking it's the Ignition module so a new one should be arriving by the end of the week.

Thanks for looking. I'll be updating as I go along. I don't plan a lot on it, just to make it back into a decent economy car again. May find a junkyard and find me some power locks/windows next paycheck. Maybe a new engine? Wouldn't mind a turbo...

Nice BG! Espesially I like wheel covers! They are so relief, that when i was watching first photo I've thought - hey, nice rims! lol
    Clean engine bay (unlike mine ), and clean interior door lining.
    Good start!
    Last edited by labeo; 07-22-2010, 11:29 AM.
    sigpic
    1990 323s BG 1.6i

Comment

Yeah I'm surprised how clean the interior was. The steering wheel is a lil' worn, but that'll happen after 166k+ miles.

There was a daddy long leg still living in the engine by the ignition module for whatever reason up until today when I finally evicted it!

Comment

Long term plans?
        1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Not really sure, to be honest. I didn't realize the potential for these things until I found this site. I've only had a day to maul things over and it's not even capable of going around the block due to (suspected) bad ignition module.

I'm going to put it up on the jacks when I get home from work this morning and get a good look underneath. (I work four 11 shifts for 3rds doing tech support. About 3-4 hours of legit work then the rest is kinda just sitting around online.)

Currently my project car is my Jeep. She has a LOT of issues, where as the Mazda here is gonna be used as a 2nd car as I do things on the Jeep.

I'm thinking right now stopping the rust and getting her repainted sometime. That large amount of missing clear coat is kind of annoying. Some parts of the car are very shiny, while the other 1/2 is very spotty. Power locks and windows I'm gonna go hunt for in the junkyards next weekend.
          Last edited by Fhajad; 07-23-2010, 02:13 AM.

Comment

You should do a v6 swap and hey....I know a guy selling a 90% complete kit
            1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
            1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
            2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Oh do you now?

I was wondering if a 3800 V6 would fit fine. I got an auto is the only downer. :/ But seeing as how my original plans were to just make it my new DD I didn't considering a manual transmission equip one. Granted my joints are doing rather poor lately and shifting is becoming a lil' too much work for me.

Jeep's a manual, so gotta gimme that!

Comment

Klze > GM L27/L36 plus KL is drop in

94 Pro LX- 3-hole. Familia seats, Infini Corners, Familia Grille, Familia Rear Garnish w/Rear fogs EDM Glass headlights,
                MSP Mazdaspeed Muffler,Mazdaspeed front strut bar,'00 Pro ES wheels, Neuspeed Springs,GR2s, MX3 wheel, MX3 Tall armrest

Comment

Auto DX, uh wouldn't have been my choice, at that rate I wish you knew about this one here.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/1852276207.html

But this here would have been more of my choice.

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/cto/1794615644.html

Seeing as how your not even up to driving a stick, I wouldn't even bother with swaps...
                  easier to sell that and buy something more to your likings if that's the case. don't even think of trying to stuff a GM V6 in there some how, its never been done and I bet for a reason. You think you have pain now, yea try doing that.
                  ?

Comment

Originally posted by 93_EGT View Post
                    Auto DX, uh wouldn't have been my choice, at that rate I wish you knew about this one here.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/1852276207.html

But this here would have been more of my choice.

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/cto/1794615644.html

Seeing as how your not even up to driving a stick, I wouldn't even bother with swaps...
                    easier to sell that and buy something more to your likings if that's the case. don't even think of trying to stuff a GM V6 in there some how, its never been done and I bet for a reason. You think you have pain now, yea try doing that.
                    My main intention was a cheap lil' economy car to get to and from work. It's about 60 miles round trip and my Jeep sucks down the gas like no other. I didn't even think there was major support for them like this.

And it's true, I really don't want a 2nd manual vehicle. I might do a swap when I obtain a 3rd car. So that way we have reliable transportation while I do some of the hardcore work on the Jeep (Seperate tub and frame for rust repairs).

Jeep's my main priority. But it's nice to see the Protege has such a loyal fanbase as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X