Hks turbo timer help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hks turbo timer help

I have an hks type 0 turbo timer with the plug and play harness in my gtx. I installed it tonight, and everything works ok, but when I turn the key off, the engine just shuts off. The timer counts down like it thinks the car is running, but it isn't. Also, it doesn't stop counting when I let the brake off, even though it's wired like the manual says.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any help will be appreciated.

Sorry, just realized I posted this in the bg section. This is for my bf gtx. Can a mod move this please?

Comment

you must have the wire run to your ebrake, i thought it was optional and didnt use it at first, same problem, it needs to know the ebrake is on or it shuts the car off. The ebrake wire is not included in a plug and play kit iirc, its a separate wire.
      There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the wire is going to the ebrake, but I'll check to be sure. Should it stop counting down when you release the ebrake?

Comment

Ebrake wire is connected properly. I checked everything again using the instructions on hks' website and still couldn't find anything wrong.

Comment

did you hook the harness up properly? i had mine flipped and it did the same thing. just something to check.

Comment

you happen to have the link to their manual?

thanks
              Originally posted by 90prtege
              have you heard a yaris drive by you??? it says immmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmgayyyyyyyyy!!!!
              Originally posted by Turpro
              Fk the family. Drugs and hookers take priority first

bpt323: broom break
              CRZbrussian: that sux
              CRZbrussian: get swifer wet
              CRZbrussian: ****s aluminum

Comment

I know it's been a while, but here's an update. I've tried switching the plugs on the harness, and all it did was make my cooling fan run all the time. :p I double checked that the parking brake wire is properly connected, and the tach signal seems to be ok too. It still acts like the car is running when I turn the key off, even though it is not.

Comment

I know a few guys on the yahoo forum that are / were running that unit. Look in the archives there, or ask the group.

Comment

Disconnect the tach signal.. The ECU outputs the wrong voltage for the turbo timer. Unless you got the converter box.

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
                    1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
                    1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
                    1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
                    1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

Oh yeah, it's a new install. Check to see if there's a dip switch setting for 4,6,8 cyls. Unless I'm grossly mistaken.

Comment

I don't think there was on that model. But there might be. The tach signal is 5-12v analog instead of 0-5v digital or something and screws everything up.

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
                        1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
                        1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
                        1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
                        1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

Awesome, thanks. I'll try that as soon as I have time.

Comment

I was grossly mistaken, I was thinking of the MSD. sheesh.

Comment

Check and makes sure your timer is real. Apexi had a problem with fake chinese ebay timer that looked identical but had some problems like you described.
                              Love my

1992 Protégé DX Totaled
                              1991 Protégé LX SOLD
                              1988 323 GT, 1.6 B6T 200k SOLD still on the road..
                              1992 Miata Unofficial SE 76k
                              1991 Mercury Capri XR2 101k
                              1972 Monte Carlo

Comment

Working...
                              X