My new 91 Protege LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new 91 Protege LX

First of all let me introduce myself, My name is Dustin and im 15 years old turning 16 in march and i just recently (about two weeks ago) bought a 1991 Protege LX and i have a few questions that im hoping migh get answered.

Okay, lets start.

How long do mazda Proteges usualy run before heeps of problems start occuring?
    The car has 233k miles, about 230k miles were put on by the cars first owner and he was a buisness man and drove about alteast 90% of the miles on highways and the other 3 were put on buy a 17 year old girl who bought the car and ended up buying a brand new car so had no more use for it, but im still kinda worried about having such a high amount of miles. I dont know anything about Mazdas but i saw a deal and thought i'd take it and hope for the best.

The windows are very slow when you try to roll them up and i was wondering what i could do to fix this or atleast make them go a little bit faster.

I like the car and it runs great but ive never really seen a car with such high miles that acualy runs.
    The blue book was like $1200 for the car and i paid $550 for it so i figured i got a reasonably good deal, it had a new radiator put in right before the 2nd owner bought it, and like i said atleast 200K+ of the miles are highway.

It needs a muffler and possibly shocks so should i just re sell it or will it run long enough to be worth the money?

Thanks much for any advice!
    Dustin

Keep that bitch! These things last forever. There are plenty of members here with 150k+ miles and a handfull with 200k+. No major problems with them that i know of. I think the first thing to go besides routine maintenance stuff would be the tranny.

The windows being slow could just be the regulator crapping out. Might need to be replaced.
    A new muffler wont cost too much if you get an OEM replacement. You can get an aftermarket muffler on eBay for as little as $30-$50.
    Replacement OEM struts would run about (guessing) $150ish. You could do the install yourself, its not too hard. But you will need a set of spring compressors.

BTW, welcome to the club!
    Last edited by Marc93lx; 02-02-2004, 05:56 PM.
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

welcome. There are many Mazda gurus on here.
      Yeah regulators will fix the window prob I believe. I think GroHarlem may have some for sale in his last clean out sale. PM and ask him.

Many questions have been asked already so search and you will find alot of answers.

As Marc93LX said, that biatch will last forever. Many people on here just swap in the ever popular BPT (JDM Turbo'd version of the 1.8 DOHC) and have a 4 door that is really quick. Other go with Audio and some go with both.

Either way with what you decide, enjoy your protege, and most questions about your car can be answered thru this board.
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Greatings. fastest way to gain knowlege on this fourm is to search. it might talk longer, but when yu produce a refined question the regulars will respect you for it. the all so popular "how do i get power out of my protege" question will get you nothing more than a "go do a search" and flames
        When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
        Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
        Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
        So his engine he goosed
        With much too much boost,
        And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

maybe we need a new member induction small vid or clip that basically says search or get bitched out.....
          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

So Your Keeping it Then... Sure you are

Definetely Keep that Baby... I found out that my 94 basically had been babied its entire life... and thankfully only had 100k miles when I got her about a 8 months ago.

Weigh your options my friend:

1. The insurance will be hella cheap... expecially for a younger driver
            2. It's a foreign car... It will last you a while
            3. The car is basically maintenance free... aside from a few preventive checkups, the car is no fix or repair daily...
            4. Gas milage motha phucka!!! depending on what size engine you have you can get 29-36 mpg city/highway
            5. Parts are cheap
            6. The cars are Cheap... obviously you know this... If you really wanted another car, you could always get another one and use the efficiency of the protege as your daily driver, as many on the forum do...
            7. and last but not least... There is a CLUB PROTEGE, and many other enthusiasts that you can share opinions with and get advice...

So I take it your decision is made then...

Check and Mate Motha Phuckas... he he he
            Last edited by XxToKeSxX; 02-03-2004, 09:33 AM.
            1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
            1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
            2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
            2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

gas isn't cheap the way I drive my pro.

90 Mazda Protege LX 5-Speed (currently 4 sale)
              -Mods...who care's anymore?DOHC anyone

Comment

Originally posted by NoFear
                gas isn't cheap the way I drive my pro.
                i'm with you on this, my protege would eat 15 to 16 mpg in the city if i drove it like an asshole.. which was more or less every other day. needless to say, only do the work you need to keep it running, don't invest more into it than you need to. i know this goes against what 90% of you first genners are thinking about, but there truthfully isn't much retuirn value for any modifications you may make to it.. aside from basic stereo crap you can swap into another car, don't invest much into it. trust me, you're learning from the wiser part of me . spending 4,500 on a car 2 years ago, putting in 4,500 in preventative maintenance and repairs, and only getting 45,000 miles before the transmission takes a second ****.. not worth it. if your protege has had that many miles put on it, it was no doubt highway driven and well cared for.. enjoy it.
                peace

Comment

Originally posted by demoninvictus
                  i'm with you on this, my protege would eat 15 to 16 mpg in the city if i drove it like an asshole.. which was more or less every other day. needless to say, only do the work you need to keep it running, don't invest more into it than you need to. i know this goes against what 90% of you first genners are thinking about, but there truthfully isn't much retuirn value for any modifications you may make to it.. aside from basic stereo crap you can swap into another car, don't invest much into it. trust me, you're learning from the wiser part of me . spending 4,500 on a car 2 years ago, putting in 4,500 in preventative maintenance and repairs, and only getting 45,000 miles before the transmission takes a second ****.. not worth it. if your protege has had that many miles put on it, it was no doubt highway driven and well cared for.. enjoy it.
                  peace
                  What the hell, I got 15mpg at Buttonwillow Raceway. LOL
                  2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

bah, you drive like a pussy then
                    in all honesty, through an o2 sensor, pcv valve, upkept maintenance/tune-ups, new spark plugs on top, i still mustered 17mpg with minor aggression.. driving really aggressively, jack rabbit starts, speeding.. left with with anywhere between 14 to 15 mpg on average. so of course, if you wind out the car for all it's worth, thats the WORST you could do.. however, even when i tried being conservative, i still never averaged over 18 mpg without doing long stretches of road say over 5 miles at 45 mph. thats just the nature of my surrounding area. it's technically suburbs (city limits are 20 minutes away, bout 7 or 8 miles away). hard to describe, but my protege was the DOG'S for gas mileage. to give a relative comparisson, aggressive driving in my sable (3.0 litre 140hp, 160ft/lbs).. i can run out 10 gallons of gas in 110 miles if i kill the car (literally KILL). maybe it's just my aggressive nature to driving, but the protege however, did manage 29 to 31 mpg on average on STRAIGHT highway driving at 70 to 85 mph. the lords of reason have yet to explain this to me. at any rate, my point standing, don't drive your protege thinking it's a race car like i did . it's a daily driver, not formula 1 inspired.
                    peace

Comment

Working...
                    X