• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.5 exhaust home brew

An old GTX Protege build
    Flange thread
    NAPA part#'s thanks to another member

Edit-The system is all done now and I'm happy with it. I meant for this work log to be straight forward for anyone that was looking to do what I did but it didn't turn out that way. I change course a few times and had a few set backs. It is complete though if you read the whole thread.

With the help of D323's for sale thread, I have all the mandrel bent pieces I need. I can pick up the straight pieces at Baxter down the street so all that leaves is,
    high flow cat,
    some type of muffler(not sure yet what brand),
    flex pipe,
    I'm not sure how many hangers yet. I'll see when I get the old system out, when ever that is.
    I figure it's going to have seams after the flex pipe, before the axle, maybe after the axle too.
    bracket that holds the pipe as it goes under the oil pan that protects the turbo assembly from exhaust trauma,
    and a flange so I can bolt it all to the engine.

The SawZall and mig welder will come shortly.

The flange is going to be made special by ftjandra who has started a group buy thread HERE. For anyone thinking of going with they're own exhaust build, this flange is a must. Beware, not for the timid.

Edit-The stock exhaust is proving to be a bit feisty. I've rounded off one nut and haven't made any progress on the rest. I think I'm going to have to cut the system into pieces to get it out, unfortunately.
    Last edited by 1st Gen; 11-02-2011, 09:56 PM.
    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Getting this thing out was a pita! As you can see, I had to twist it until it broke in half. Rust to the rescue.

On the bright side, it shouldn't be too hard to fab one up.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 1st Gen; 09-03-2010, 01:34 AM.

Comment

I would leave the cat out unless you have to for inspection. If its just straight pipe it will be a little raspy but you can throw in a long cherry bomb as a resonator to take out the rasp. Then throw a straight through muffler and you'll be set. If you don't want a straight through muffler I would reccomend taking a look at the new Dynomax VT muffler

edited for idiocy and spelling errors and deleted from the middle of your reserve pots.
      lol
      -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
      VF10 powered!
      262 Whp & 257 Wtq
      13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
        I would leave the cat out unless you have to for inspection. If its just straight pipe it will be a little raspy but you can throw in a long cherry bomb as a resonator to take out the rasp. Then throw a straight through muffler and you'll be set. If you don't want a straight through muffler I would reccomend taking a look at the new Dynomax VT muffler

edited for idiocy and spelling errors and deleted from the middle of your reserve pots.
        lol
        No worries man.
        I'll give this a lot of thought before I'm done. Thanks for the insight. I think I'll have to have a cat for DEQ. We'll see.

Edit-I'm no expert at this, not by a long shot. I've done it once before so have a little experience but thoughtful insights are always appreciated.
        Last edited by 1st Gen; 08-13-2010, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Sub'n to watch
          1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
          1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
          2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
          .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Also I had to buy a cat to pass inspection when I moved here. Well after a little over a year boosted it is shot. I guess turbo'd cars burn cats up. Its so annoyingly(is this even a word?) Raspy now. I'll be slapping a cherry bomb res on when my swap is done. I know a guy in ky that has 2 of them and that's it on his b6t capri. Very quiet and no rasp
            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Getting reved up to take this on. I need to take measurements for the muffler and get that coming. I'm not going to worry about a cat since this car is now 20 years old and doesn't have to pass DEQ. I'll have a Lincoln Welder sometime in the next few weeks and will cruise the used tool shops for a chop saw. I may still have a sawzall in my future. It just depends on what opportunities avail themselves upon me.

I'm so glad the holidays are finally over.

Comment

What bends do you need for the exhaust? I need to make a 2.5" exhaust for my 4wd pro.

I just need angles for the cat back, I have a 2.5" Catco cat with flanges, and I'm running a stock BP downpipe for now since I'm not going turbo yet.
                2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
                1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

I need probably two straight pieces, an 18" muffler, flex pipe, and a new keyboard. (this thing is driving me crazy)
                  I need hangers, flanges, bolts and washers, and maybe paint.
                  Here is what I have so far, the stock GTX J pipe is on the car for the anticipated start up.

This is what I hope it will look like.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by 1st Gen; 01-02-2011, 04:00 PM.

Comment

nice man, good luck!
                    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post
                      Also I had to buy a cat to pass inspection when I moved here. Well after a little over a year boosted it is shot. I guess turbo'd cars burn cats up. Its so annoyingly(is this even a word?) Raspy now. I'll be slapping a cherry bomb res on when my swap is done. I know a guy in ky that has 2 of them and that's it on his b6t capri. Very quiet and no rasp

Did your car pass the emissions test with the turbo setup and cat? I plan on having previsions to remove the cat so the turbo doesn't burn through it in less than a year.

Comment

I've passed DEQ twice with the 91.

Comment

wow you sure are taking on a task there. i like the pipe collection you got there already
                          Anyone knows what 9K rpm feels like? I do

93 Mercury Tracer SW
                          99 Honda Accord 4DR 'VIP' status
                          01 Honda S2000 Future Boost

Comment

Originally posted by SleptWithURWife View Post
                            Did your car pass the emissions test with the turbo setup and cat? I plan on having previsions to remove the cat so the turbo doesn't burn through it in less than a year.
                            Yes I passed
                            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

Lincoln Pro Cor 125
                              I'm leaning toward the 140. As usual, I'm shooting for middle of the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X