Pistons for B6T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pistons for B6T

Hello, I'm far away from you - from Bulgaria, and i'm finding it difficult to choose pistons and piston rings for my 323 GTX '87.
    I see that you know a lot more than me for these cars, so can anyone help me because I'm not familiar if they should be a bit bigger than the original dimensions(78mm) - like +0.5mm?
    Can you give me advice where shall I look for them or give me suggestions?

Many thanks in advance!

When rebuilding your car's engine, the machine shop will measure the amount of wear in the cylinders. If the cylinders are worn past a certain limit, the only way to get a good seal between the cylinder wall and the piston rings is to make the cylinder bore slightly larger and use new pistons and rings which are also slightly larger. That is why replacement pistons are offered in oversizes (+0.5mm, +1.0mm)

In larger engines like Chevy V8's many people will increase the bore by several mm's or more just to increase the total displacement of the engine to create more horsepower. This is not really a good option for the B6 engine as the cylinder walls are not thick enough to allow much material to be removed safely.

Comment

Yes, I'm quite familiar with how to measure and fit the pistons. Thanks for the explain, though.
      My question is where shall I look for pistons? Is Wiseco the only manufacturer who makes pistons for B6T?

Comment

I"m not sure if the pistons on the B6T are different from other B6's. Others ont he board would be more knowledgable on that point than I am.

I think possibly the only difference is forged vs. cast. I know that lost of people upgrade the B6T to Miata pistons with a higher compression ratio to increase midrange power so I think you could use any B6 piston.

Comment

Which Mazda's use B6 engine?
          Is it only Miata?

Comment

94+ MX-3 RS as well

Comment

It turned out that there was significant wear in the cylinder, so I need 78.5x83.6mm piston... Some suggestions where can I find them?

Comment

www.importperformanceparts.net has many options for the B6. If you go to the Wiseco page and scroll to the bottom there are mulitple compression ratio options listed for hte 323/Protege.
                Last edited by 300BHPZE; 08-27-2010, 12:30 PM.

Comment

What 300BHPZE said but the Supertech piston they are $399 from www.importperformanceparts.net
                  My Hiroshima Screamer

Comment

i went with stock auto miata b6 piston bored .20 ova 9.0:1 in my b6t engine.....thats a option u can try. Or if u want forged then go for it.

Comment

OK,
                      so after all I solved my problem by ordering Wiseco Forged Pistons Overbored .20 and ACL Main and Rod Bearings. They are expected to arrive on 20th of December, so I hope in the end of Jan I'll start enjoying my BF GTX finally
                      Thanks for the help, though!

Comment

Originally posted by 323GTX-RSA View Post
                        What 300BHPZE said but the Supertech piston they are $399 from www.importperformanceparts.net
                        What do you think of those compared to Wiesco? They worth the savings? or would it be better to put down the extra cash and go with Weisco? Anyone running supertech?

Comment

Pistons are an area that isn't worth pennypinching. We know cold the Wisecos work and work well...
                          '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                          '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I don't think that money should be saved from pistons.
                            http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/K554M785 - 484$ compared to 399$ for Supertech isn't that much.
                            I spent a lot of time doing research and I found that almost everybody, who has done a rebuilt of B6T used Wiseco's with ACL Bearings and ARP Studs, so I wen't for them.
                            Hopefully, I'll be running them soon...

Regards,
                            Ivaylo

Comment

Working...
                            X