KL transmission gurus step inside!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KL transmission gurus step inside!

ok so ive been looking around for a true answer but no luck.

i know that the 626/mx6 transmission has a 4.11 final drive, and the probe gt/mx3 has a 4.38 final drive.

heres my question, which is better? i see people talking about the probe/mx3 gear is the best. then i see drag setups using the 626/mx6 gear. or interchanging them, like using an mx6 4.11 gear in a mx3 transmission.

someone clear this up for me. lol

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

depends on your set up really. being a bolt on KL, you would be better off with the pgt/mx3 set up. the boosted, or built KL guys make better use of the taller mx6/626 set up.
    ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
    ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
    What are you driving?

Comment

ah ok i see.

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

I went to a MX-6 tranny this year in my ZE MX-3 after running the stock tranny for about 10,000kms or so and I like it much better. Not just the taller 5th gear either. Even though the final drive ratio is only 6% taller it is noticeable through all the gears in daily driving...if only slightly.

Comment

the main reason the higher HP people use the longer gear transmissions is to give them a better shot at traction in the early gears, and also the ability to trap at a higher MPH without shifting to fifth.

in the case of a bolton DE i would use the probe/mx3 one. im using one on my ZE and i managed to cut 14.7 running a DE ECU and no emissions crap installed (basically the ECU was in limp mode)
          "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
          -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
          *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
          172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
          New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Working...
          X