manual swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

manual swap

hey guys i'm getting together a list of parts needed to put a manual trans in my auto 4wd protege,basically wanted to know if the the auto axles would work or what axles can i use,any wiring needed to make it all work,thanks any help would be appreciated

The driver's axle won't work, but the rest of them should. I sourced a 4wd protege axle from NAPA. I don't know what else might work.

The joint on the front of the driveshaft is different too. If you can pull it off without damaging the front section of the driveshaft, I have the joint you need, but it's attached to part of a driveshaft still. So you would have to seperate it. Again, something else may work, but I don't know.

Oh, you'll need the shifter and cables too. Once you find all the parts it goes together pretty easily.
    Last edited by me109; 08-28-2010, 06:08 PM. Reason: Remembered more stuff
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

thanks...

Comment

I got a front clip (back when they were $2500 shipped) just to be sure I had everything. You probably could find all these things on car-part.com or local junk yards.
        1990 Protege 4WD
        GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
        ├┼┤
        2 4 R

Comment

i have a gtx trans i'm getting from a friend and he has just the flange of the drive shaft looks like it was cut off with a torch,so i'm going to see if i can get it apart and just swap the flange.i will be going to the local junk yard and getting the flywheel and all the other things like clutch master,lines,and cables...do you know if the flywheel and clutch are different sohc to dohc,thanks agian for the help,jordan

Comment

I would think the hard part will be finding the shifter, it's cable and all the 2wd Proteges were rod shifters. I put a cable shifter out of a Celica into a Dodge Omni once, so creativity may get you something easy.

-Jon R.

Comment

Flywheels are different. Go with one from a BP. I think BG BP flywheel != Miata BP flywheel too. Search this to confirm.

As long as you know what you have and get the right clutch to match it, it doesn't matter too much what flywheel you use.

And I completely agree with jrally. You might try cable shift Mitsubishis since they made the cables for Mazda anyway. Maybe they used the same shifter too.
              1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
              ├┼┤
              2 4 R

Comment

boy that sucks about the cable,i was expecting to just pull it all out of a front drive protege...looks like i will have to make something work,at least i have my friends car that i'm getting the trans from at work and it has no engine and trans so i can at least measure them and get something from the junkyard that is pretty close,thanks again

Comment

I thought I found you a shifter for $50+shipping. She called back and said it's all gone though. Sorry.
                  Last edited by me109; 09-02-2010, 10:43 AM.
                  1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                  ├┼┤
                  2 4 R

Comment

Working...
                  X