Did I not start a log for the rally car? Shame on me.... #5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I not start a log for the rally car? Shame on me.... #5

Bought a rally car off a local race team. Hasn't been ran since '01. Driver lost brakes at Doo Wops in '01 and was able to continue running the stage for a while before he finally lost control and stumped the car. The front end has been totally replaced and refinished.

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
    1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
    1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
    1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
    1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

nice! what's the plan with this one?
    Suzuki SX4 AWD 6MT 2010 : Daily driver
    Mazda 323 GTX 1988 : Rally Car
    www.ahurateam.com

Comment

Returned to it's former glory as a PGT stage rally car. MRTE color scheme.

Gonna try to use my LED rally lights.

1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead

Comment

Sadly I haven't had any time for this car with the holidays and all my travel for work. Hopefully now that I have no debt things will progress much faster.

Comment

Yay!!!!!!
          1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
          Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
          "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

My goal is to be stage ready to use Wild West as a shakedown for car driver and co-driver.

Comment

awesome, well hopefully WW doesn't get canned again. this year is already starting off a little rough
              1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
              Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
              "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

Oh hey, a Tabor car, them fellers know what they're doing.
                '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Nice!

LED rally lights, eh? do you have a link at all?

--sarge

Comment

Yeah, I think it was Mark's car if I remember correctly.

Visionxusa.com I have a pair of the 8" Xmitters. Thinking about upgrading to a 22" maybe double stacked.

Comment

wow awesome!
                      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

I'm happy with them. They make it so I don't have to run a bigger alternator. They are, however, super white so they reflect light off fog really bad. Makes me concerned about late desert stages like the last round of stages at Wild West.

Comment

What about something like a laminX amber sheet, if it's foggy/dusty/snowing, maybe even on a slide-in filter out of lexan or something?

One reason I re-fit my light bar with HID's is because they're only 35W per ballast, instead of the 100W per lamp I was using before. More light, better color, and a MASSIVE amount less load on the engine!!

How do the LED units compare, visibility-wise, to your standard 'light pod' with four 6-8" HID's (I'm not actually sure of the size).

--sarge

Comment

according to visionx's site.. one of the 12" bars is brighter than one of the HID fixtures. If i do upgrade to a 22" double stack that should be comparable to a set of 4 HID's. The throw distance doesn't seem as long but I only had them on the street car a short while before it got totalled and I haven't ran a rally with them yet. as far as an amber covering is concerned, I'm sure it's possible but the housing doesn't open as far as I can tell so you'd have to put something over them. Having amber colored LED's would be brighter than just throwing a lens on them. it's something inherent with LED technology.

Comment

I didn't see any mention of anything other than white on their page, which is why I mentioned the LaminX stuff. Easy to put on, during the rally, easy to take off if you need to. I wonder if they could be talked in to doing something in amber? Like a double stack, with one half white, the other half amber, so you could cut the whites when only amber's needed?

**edit, nevermind, I found they do ofer amber, I just didn't look hard enough **

I think something similar to this would be sweet, only in the double-stack configuration:

It has the 'flood' lenses for the outside, and the 'euro' lenses in the center, so you get good views of the ditch, and can see a bit down the road when you're sideways. (works for me when on the ice, anyways). Then have the top half as white, and the bottom half as amber, switchable. Are there any disadvantages to having both amber and white lights at the same time? In clear conditions, you'd have just that much more light available, and when you cut the whites for dust/fog, you get better than what the whites alone would give you.

--sarge
                              Last edited by SgtRauksauff; 01-17-2011, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X