thinking about adding a second battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thinking about adding a second battery?

think again. i made the mistake of adding a second battery. this article is definitely a good way of describing why it's usually a bad idea.
    dave navone always has good tech articles.

great article.
    between David and Richard they have put out some very sound information.
    what ever happened to Lucio Proni, is he still running JL Audio?
    Last edited by DeanSweetP5; 02-03-2004, 12:08 PM.
    'I did nothing... I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be!?'
    -Dean
    2003.5 Vivid Yellow Protege5

Mods:
    18" G-Racing Kirins - hyper black
    Eibach Pro-Line lowering springs
    MazdaSpeed Axelback Exhaust
    Injen CAI - Polished
    Tinted windows. Llumar 35front 2&hatch glass/25middle roll down glass/18backside4
    DaveB trim rings
    Painted Calipers - G2

Stereo:
    Alpine CVA-1005 - 6.5" LCD Reciever.
    Alpine DVA-5210 - DVD/WMA/CD/MP3 Player
    Alpine ERA-G320 - EQ/Surround processor.
    Kicker IX-405D 5 Channel Amp
    Kicker 12" L5's in bandpass enclosure (2 of them)
    Kicker K-57.2 Components up front
    Kicker K-65 in back.

Future Mods?

Turbo?

Comment

Originally posted by DeanSweet
      great article.
      between David and Richard they have put out some very sound information.
      what ever happened to Lucio Proni, is he still running JL Audio?

unfortunately i don't know the answer to that i haven't paid enough attention to JL.

Comment

so, is it a bad idea to get an optima red top since they have higher capacity than the regular batteries? higher capacity (a single high capacity battery or two batteries in parallel) = higher load = struggling alternator = dimming lights, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
          so, is it a bad idea to get an optima red top since they have higher capacity than the regular batteries? higher capacity (a single high capacity battery or two batteries in parallel) = higher load = struggling alternator = dimming lights, etc...

if you were comparing 2 tiny ass batteries to one optima, then it would be about the same load. but having 1 battery without too much capacity is a very good thing. otherwise i'd run a small motorcycle battery in my car remember, when you draw more current that the alt can support, the extra has to come from the battery. if your battery is too small, then the voltage will drop way too low, and the system may shut off. if the battery is too big, it'll run the system for longer, but will give that added load to the alternator. basically you need to find the happy medium for your car and system that would be easy to figure out, if music wasn't dynamic. like if you knew you would be drawing 100 amps for say 30 seconds. mathematically you could calculate what your alt can support, and what kind of reserve the battery must have to keep the voltage over say 12.5 volts. but once you get into energy loss, the varying load/current draw, etc, it's not so easy to figure out. but this does make a good arguement that the red top is better for regular car use than a yellow top

Comment

Working...
          X