Toyota in NASCAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toyota in NASCAR

Dude, I had NO idea Toyota bombed Pearl Harbor!!!

Sunday, February 1
    Updated: February 2, 2:12 PM ET
    Spencer: They bombed Pearl Harbor
    Associated Press

Spencer
    NASCAR will not penalize driver Jimmy Spencer for a remark about the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor or his hope that Toyota's venture into truck racing will be a failure.

"That's Jimmy Spencer," NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said Sunday when asked about comments the outspoken driver made last week about Toyota's entry into Craftsman Truck competition.

They "bombed Pearl Harbor, don't forget," the San Antonio Express-News quoted the 46-year-old driver as saying during media day at Texas Motor Speedway.

"As long as it's good for the economy, I guess it's OK," said Spencer, who added that he was rooting for Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge to humiliate Toyota.

The Associated Press was unable to reach Spencer for comment Sunday night. Toyota officials did not return calls from the AP.

Although Hunter said Spencer is not in any trouble with the sanctioning body, he emphasized that NASCAR does not share the driver's opinion.

"He sometimes has a view of the world that is not consistent with the rest of the world and he is certainly known for putting his opinions out there," Hunter said.

Toyota's entry this year marks the first time a foreign-headquartered manufacturer will compete in any of the top three NASCAR series. Toyota is racing against the three American manufacturers with its new Tundra pickup trucks.

"Toyotas are now made in the USA and they met all the criteria to compete in the truck series," Hunter said. "And actually, we think it is going to add at least four new teams and it's going to add excitement to the truck series."

Toyota, which had success in a brief and low-key run in NASCAR's now-defunct Goody's Dash compact car series, has put together a four-team, seven-truck fleet to compete this year on the Craftsman circuit. Its first race will be Feb. 13 at Daytona International Speedway.

Spencer won a truck race in New Hampshire last season in a Dodge. He lost the primary sponsorship for his Cup program at the end of the year, but plans to race in the season-opening Daytona 500 and at least four other events while seeking new backing.

A 15-year NASCAR veteran with two career victories in what now is the Nextel Cup series, Spencer has been in some trouble with the sanctioning body. A long-running feud with Kurt Busch boiled over last August at Michigan International Speedway, with Spencer punching Busch in the face in the garage area after the two bumped and banged on the track late in a race.

Spencer was fined and suspended for one race weekend and Busch was fined.
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

yeah, spencer sucks
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

I hate racist/prejudice rednecks, that's about the most retarded comment ever made
      Dan
      dreesemonkey

Comment

They bombed Pearl Harbor, don't forget
        ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

We also dropped two atomic bombs on them, remember.

We should all remember Pearl Harbor but that was over 60 years ago. Toyota did not plot to attack is. Grouping together an entire race is purely ignorant. I suppose Volkswagen is pro-nazi even in the year 2004.
          Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

I try not to take what they say to heart, Jimmy is a cool guy, but a redneck is a redneck is a redneck....Thats just small town menatality...

Personally, i am totaly excited to see the Tundra running. They are doing something that NOBODY has ever done before...break into NASCAR. i mean this is huge man, bigger than big for Nascar. They aren't going to have an easy time, but Toyota will not give up and will become a strong force in a short time.

Gentlemen, START YOUR ENGINES!

Comment

screw nascar, lol boring ass ****. i think the b3000 needs to break into the truck series.
              .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
              225.94wtq
              torque monster!!!!
              dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
              http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
              http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Not that it matters, but it was actually Mitsubishi who bombed Pearl Harbor during World War II, since they were the manufacturers of the Japanese fighter plane that we called the Zero.

02 DX Millerium Red
                02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Working...
                X