Leaving the center diff-lock on for daily driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving the center diff-lock on for daily driving

I did a few searches and couldn't find any info on this. I'm sure it's a stupid question, but is it ok to leave the center diff locked full time? Are there any benefits to doing this? Cons?

Thanks.

-Ben

Pro: if you hit mud or ice or snow you'll have better traction for that amount of time it would have taken to push the button had you left it unlocked

Con: You won't make it to ice or snow cuz leaving the centerdiff locked on pavement is a real good way to trash the gearbox
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Sweet! good to know. I've owned AWD cars in the past but my Subaru's were all full-time AWD and so was my Suzuki SX-4. Well, you could lock the Suzuki's center diff, but it would shut off at 37mph.

Comment

It's still fulltime awd switched off, and it's why the bpt swap is considered a good thing cuz you get a viscous centerdiff.
        '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
        '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
        http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post
          It's still fulltime awd switched off, and it's why the bpt swap is considered a good thing cuz you get a viscous centerdiff.
          Yeah it is but with the open center diff its a poor full time awd set up...
          Leaving the center diff locked is like driving a 4x4 pick up in 4wd high with your hubs locked in all the time... its bad.. you'll break the transfer gears..

Comment

I had noticeable issues driving my GTX on asphalt, was able to hear the wheels binding and I won't even go into detail about turning into parking stalls...

1993 Mazda Familia GTR - work log

Comment

Yeah.....

That's a really bad idea. Don't do it.
              1990 Protege 4WD
              GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
              ├┼┤
              2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Drummer69 View Post
                I had noticeable issues driving my GTX on asphalt, was able to hear the wheels binding and I won't even go into detail about turning into parking stalls...
                was that with the diff locked?? If it is, that what you'll get... If it was with out the diff locked chances are the planetary gear is blown up in the center diff.. you can look at some of my old carnage pics for what I am talking about..

Comment

Originally posted by crazycanadian View Post
                  was that with the diff locked?? If it is, that what you'll get... If it was with out the diff locked chances are the planetary gear is blown up in the center diff.. you can look at some of my old carnage pics for what I am talking about..
                  Yeah, it was when I first brought the car to Alberta. The diff was locked with a broken switch and for a short time I didn't have enough extensions to manually disengage it. Sometimes the wheels would bind so much when trying to park at those slow speeds the car would stop. I knew what was up so I just found a different stall that wouldn't blow up my diff.

1993 Mazda Familia GTR - work log

Comment

Working...
                  X