U joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U joints

Okay. I have a bent front carrier bearing. I want to change it for the spare from my AT driveshaft. To do that I'm pretty sure I have to take one U joint apart. I'd rather not reuse the U joint, but I will if I have to.

Does anybody know where I can get a replacement U joint? Or should I ditch the original driveshaft and get a lighter one made for it?

I am, as always, on a budget.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

I dunno for sure what yer talkin bout. Bent front carrier bearing? Got pix?
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

The center support bearing. No pics, but I might be able to take some today.
      1990 Protege 4WD
      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
      ├┼┤
      2 4 R

Comment

Oh. That. No, I don't know where you'd get a new joint but the stealership may still have em, but I'd check with a driveline shop first as they may very well be able to match it up for less moolah.
        '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
        '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
        http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I got'em from MMS for a price that I didn't consider a ripoff. That was last year when I put the new center support bearings in.

Driveline shop might have them. These are the kind with the c-clip around the cap, on the inside of the yoke, and not on the ends of the cap on the outside of the yoke.

--sarge

Comment

Yeah the dealer wants $66.xx each. Is that too much? It seems like it.

I did take one out of my spare shaft, so I know what it looks like. Just haven't found any nearby yet. There is a local driveline shop I need to call.
            1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
            ├┼┤
            2 4 R

Comment

through MMS, they are only $39.71.

Driveline shop might have them, depending on what diameter, etc. things are.

I looked up the miata and rx7 on MMS, and neither of them show a u-joint as a part, just the whole prop shaft.

However, I just ran across This site just now. I'm diggin' it, since I've got those staked u-joints in my Corolla, and I'd like to replace them. They look to be the same type with the inner C-clip as used in the 4WD Protege, so maybe if they come out to the right measurement, they'll work just as well!

dunno prices yet, though.

--sarge

Comment

Yeah I found that one too. Glad it's there. Wish it had prices or a store though.
                1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                ├┼┤
                2 4 R

Comment

Working...
                X