Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mt. Hood Rally 2010

http://mthoodrally.com/2010/

Ok, so it's not a Protege/323, hell it's not even the Mazda, but it's still Japaneezy! The truck and I along with co-driver Merrille are going after Mt. Hood this year. I'm SOOO freaking stoked!!!! Totally!!! After being a volunteer for 6 years, stage captain and rally cross addict, I finally get to play for real!

October 23rd up in Hood River area! Anyone out here should so come! it's a fun time! Volunteers are needed as always. I've actually been a stage captain, and i know they need people to fill some shoes. Also, I very well need some more hands on my service crew. It's a truck, i've heard it doesn't brake often. A previous owner brags about driving the truck to a stage rally, competing, and driving it home. Let's hope!

And with Wild West up in Pomeroy being canceled, this can hopefully bring down some of those teams here to participate. Oh ya, RallyMoto will be attending aswell. Motorcycles They're a hoot to watch aswell.

About an month away, come one come all!

The only corner i almost look good on in a rallyX

Weaver, and at Mt. Hood 2008
    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
    Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Rally is the coolest motorsport ever!
    Loose nut behind the wheel...

Comment

Trying like hell to get the car ready in time but it ain't lookin good...
      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

So... Mt Hood Rally was last weekend. We were there!

Still no mazda, but i been here long enough, i'd like to still share with you guys. That, and the fact that Joel came out and helped with service for us...

Quick rundown:
        Stage 1: speedo cable broke right as i pulled out to get fuel prior to start of the event... ran at higher air pressure on a short stage. First time with me and the co-driver. Felt pretty good. Was nervous, but we did fine. Co-driver got lost in route book once or twice. We were running the route book with the exception of a few notes where a pucker factor could be involved. Finished the stage is 7:51. Faster than 3 other cars. But hey, we weren't the slowest.

Stage 2: This is a familiar stage, as I've worked it many time over the years. Gilhouley. Well between stages 1 and 2, we had a 10 minute service which turned into a maybe 5 or 6 minute for us. we had to travel through the park where service was, as some of us camped back there... a lil ways.. and it was a 10mph limit. Air pressure was dropped from w/e it was to 18 in the rear and 22 up front. Our service crew looked flawless in their tasks. It was really pretty cool. Well needless to say, the difference in tire pressure was night and day. We shot around corners, and had tons of traction now. Kinda played coming through the spectator area. Co-driver got a lil nervous. Went through with the horn blazing. =D found out just how well the brakes work. OMFG they are awesome! it was a steep sharp left right after the straight at spectator. And down the hill some more just a note or two away from flying finish i lost it going into a left turn and we went off. nothing bad, it was proly the best place to do it, as there wasn't a cliff on the other side =D truck took a minute to turn over, and we took off. Now straight transit to stage 3, Fir Mountain!

stage 3: something close to 14 miles long, and rough as hell.. going into a right over crest downhill into sharp right... well i was turning already coming over the crest, and the back end of the truck picked up due to no weight and continued to carry over down the hill. we went for a sideways ride. stopped near the bottom covering the road. Actually had to backup twice to get going the right way. pretty lame. but everything was ok. We carried on. Passed a VW Rabbit which caught fire, and shortly after that another rabbit which did an endo in the first of the very rough sections: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYw_ce5bW1E now facing reverse course

shortly after that at about 6 miles from finish, we caught a really rough patch, and next thing i know.. i have no more power steering and all my warning lights are on. I still have power though. W/e.. we continue. driving a lil more cautious, and turning the wheel like a freaking school bus.. forget that!!! 2 miles from finish we catch a SAAB who was already having some problems. Continued to follow them and quite a brisk pace. I know the course, and there was nowhere to pass them. coming into the flying finish, i knew it was a narrow left that tightens and goes right. the flying finish was mid corner. we had an awesome moment! the saab putts along through the flying finish, as we're about a car length beside them totally sideways. in fact, i forgot about the cattlegaurd that we had to cross to stop control, and almost killed it as we came to a hault crossing the road in front of the guard. Next thing i know, i'm starting to overheat. we pull up in front of another SAAB that is on the side with their hood up... i look at the motor.. and well.. i lost my belts..

that's the end of the rally for us. now to quickly finish this, on the way home on highway 84, the service/tow rig explodes the front passenger tire.. took well over an hour to tend to it. picked up another friend just a few miles from there as his car crapped out. And we continued on, within 10-15 miles again, there is a fresh accident were a car hydroplained and ended up in a ditch on it's passenger side. our caravan aided. well... it's after midnight and i'm finally in vancouver... should have been there for what i was hoping (after we ended our rally) at around 4. the next day i get the belts, $11 in parts and drive the rallytruck home..

It didn't end the way i'd hope, but it was still an absolutely awesome rally for us! so much fun omg! the truck is something else on stage. all grins! =D

stage 2 spectator: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_p1SgMlWvg
        stage 3 trailing the SAAB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsdCC...eature=related
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

stage 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWSR4...&feature=share

i can't wait for next year!
        1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
        Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
        "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

Working...
        X