Fuel Pump Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Pump Problems

In July 2007 when I started my car, I experienced severe engine vibration. My son was with me at the time and he advised me to shut down and restart the engine. After restarting, everything was fine. My husband, goldstar, suggested we take the car to our dealer to have any potential problems checked out. The problem occured only that one time and when we brought it in for inspection the car had been driven approximately 16,500 miles.

Although the service people were not able to duplicate the problem, they stated that other 3s had experienced the same intermittent problem and they believed the fuel pump to be at fault. The fuel pump was replaced under warranty after it was found not to be holding pressure.

The following parts were replaced:
    1 Plate, Set BN8B-42-161
    1 Ring, O BN8B-42-165
    1 Pump and Gauge, Fuel LF67-13-35XC

In July, 2010, the car became hard to start. That is, the engine would start but only after extended cranking. To me, it sounded like the battery was getting weak and maybe starting to fail but goldstar had just installed a new Optima Red Top battery in my car a few months before in December 2009. Nevertheless, goldstar checked the battery with a voltmeter but found nothing wrong with it. The battery consistently read 12.6V with the engine off overnight and the alternator read over 14V at idle, and according to goldstar, 12.6V indicates a fully charged battery. At this point, I had 60,000 miles on the car.

Since we have MEPP (Mazda Extended Protection Plan) on my car we brought it into Mazda for a diagnosis. It turned out to be a faulty fuel pump again which again wouldn't hold pressure.

The following parts were replaced:
    1 Pump and Gauge, Fuel LF67-13-35XE: $664.62
    1 Plate, Set BN8B-42-161: $31.08
    1 Ring, O BN8B-42-165: $28.66
    Total Parts: $724.36

Labor: $277.20

Total Cost, parts and labor: $1001.56

Thanks to MEPP, we paid only the deductible: $120

Note that the fuel pump number is different for the latest replacement indicating it's probably an updated or modified part. goldstar also found a Technical Service Bulletin that attributes extended cranking like I had to a bad fuel pump. He also said that to replace the fuel pump the tank has to be removed from the car which explains why the labor cost is so high. He was glad he didn't have to do the job himself having only our driveway to work on.

We don't buy extended warranty protection for any consumer product other than cars. goldstar had bought one for his Protege but it turned out he never had to use it. Even so, we're glad we had it this time.

I just thought other 3 owners should be made aware of this potential problem.
    Last edited by MazdaLady3; 09-15-2010, 09:40 PM.
    '06 3i Sunlight Silver Metallic
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil
    Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/55-16s

a month late to the party but good to know :D I have a speed3... so i doubt ill have the issue but i know quite a few people with regular 3's that would do well to keep this in mind
    '12 Ford Focus SEL

Comment

Breathe forums breathe.. theres a little bit of life in you..

good goin, keep posting BK owners.
      -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
      VF10 powered!
      262 Whp & 257 Wtq
      13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Working...
      X