what to do...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what to do...

honestly, i will never push my gtx hard enough to keep a spare trans around.

so should i sell my spare gtx trans?

if i do sell it, whats the going rate for one?

if i keep it, what can i do to make the trans stronger?

for some odd reason i am not coming up with much info on how to make them better. just that they blow up after 2xx awhp. which makes me want to NOT upgrade my gtx more and more.
    88 GT - DD
    88 GTX - whore

Well, I can tell you that it is a good thing to keep around, if you have the room.

I have replaced the tranny once, due to the 2nd gear synchro; that was about 6 or 7 years ago. I've AutoX'd, RallyX'd, a few seasons. I've taken the car out on midnight mountain runs, and commuted to work for many years, without any issues because I would change the fluids every year and let the car reach a good temp first before being a dick to it.

Well, you know what? The ****ing tranny went out going downhill, coasting, around 45 to 50MPH in traffic. No symptoms.

So yeah, keep a ****ing spare tranny around. I'm glad I do.

Or sell it for about $300, if the synchros are still good.

Comment

i have no ideas about this trans. all i got from its donor car was the digital gauge cluster. but it was used a few times in another gtx. so i have no idea how many miles are on the trans or anything else. guess i could rebuild it. idk if i can even keep storing it.

did yours really go out so horribly that you couldnt rebuild it?
      88 GT - DD
      88 GTX - whore

Comment

I haven't performed a post-mortem on the tranny yet. I have a BPT and BG tranny sitting in the garage, waiting for several years to be used and abused.

Guess it's time to jump on the 1.8l band wagon

Comment

i guess so.. i was thinking that would be my route too if i blow a trans in the gtx. i mean, i can still use the engine in the gt.
          88 GT - DD
          88 GTX - whore

Comment

Working...
          X