How do I take off....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I take off....

How do I take off the plastic cover over the shifter without breaking it? The damn thing does not wanna go. Getting the E brake cover and cd holder off was easy, but the other one is a bitch. I'm sure one of you guys knows how to do it. Got a short throw shifter on the way, so I need to know.
    Last edited by borisoft; 09-08-2003, 07:49 PM.
    <a href="http://www.cardomain.com/id/borisoft">My Cardomain Page</a>
    Brilliant Black 1998 Mazda Protege ES 1.8L DOHC 5 speed
    15" ASA JS1 Wheels with Yokohama Avid T4 Tires
    TWM Short Shifter
    Ractive Intake

There are tons of screws you need to remove, because the shifter, and the cup holder come off together. Let me see if I can scan a pic for you. Check out the pic, and I pointed with lines as to where the screws are. Make sure that you take out screws on both sides (you can't see both side on the pic). It should be pretty easy, I have done it before, and no problem. One thing, on the picture, #3 on it is a plastic clip that breaks easy, so be careful with that. Goodluck.
    Attached Files
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

so once i remove the back e-brake piece I only have to take off the two plastic screws and the screws right behind the shifter? I had them off was lifting up on the plastic cup holder/knob cover section and it was getting snagged on the little trya/cd player middle section. I'll try again, but that bastard wanted none of it.
      TWM Short Shifter
      Ractive Intake

Comment

k, so do i take out all the screws or just the ones with the red lines? and once they are out, which direction would i pull the shifter cover/cupholder to get it off? Still no luck on this, and i already have the shifter.
        TWM Short Shifter
        Ractive Intake

Comment

1. pull the two rear screws
          2. pull the two side screws in the front .
          - they are clips so just put a flat head in the side of them and pop it out
          3. put the shifter in reverse(I assume you have taken off the shifter boot and shift knob)
          4. take out the ashtray .. remove that screw right there
          5. pull out the console a bit and then unplug the ashtray in the rear.
          6 put the shifter in reverse.
          7 wiggle it up...

You will need a sharp needle nose tool to get the c-clamp ring thing out of the shifter area. If you take a rag and clean the crease away you will see it.

Then you need to loosen the bolt under the car, at the bottom of the shifter.

then you loosen the bolts inside the car -- if I am not mistaken and pull out the shifter.

I know I missed a few steps but I can't remeber everything ..sorry!

I hope this helps
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

TWM shifter

Well it's finally done, I installed the TWM short shifter with three of my friends. And the best part is we didn't really know how to do it. But you'll never learn if you don't try. The piece is mad tight, feels like my dads miata. Huge difference in throw.
            TWM Short Shifter
            Ractive Intake

Comment

Working...
            X