Help installing EQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help installing EQ

Last week I bought a Legacy LEQ10 off ebay, and I tried to install it yesterday and couldn't figure out the wiring. It has a red wire, a black wire, and an orange wire coming off the back. I hooked the red one up to the ignition wire in the back of my stereo and the black to the ground wire from the stereo. I wasn't sure about the orange one so I asked at my local car stereo shop. He guessed it was a remote power wire and said I should hook it to the remote power from the back of the stereo which currently turns on my amp.

I tested it with just the red and black hooked up, and it didn't work. Then I hooked the orange up and tested it and it still didn't work. Am I wiring something wrong or is the thing just broken? (it was used when I got it, but the guy said it worked perfectly and had 100% feedback so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as long as I can.)

strip the red and orange wires and twist them together. strip the black wire too. touch the red and orange wires to the positive battery terminal, and the black to the negative terminal. that will isolate the EQ to the battery, so you'll know for sure if the EQ works if it works, wire the red wire into constant 12 volt positive, and the orange to the ignition wire, or remote turn on. also make sure you've got a good ground. that will prevent it from turning on, too.

Comment

The ground is the same one the HU uses, so I know it's good. For the red wire on a constant, should I take that directly from the fuse box or from the HU? There's a battery wire that goes to the HU also... I could probably use that.

Comment

i would run a seperate wire for the EQ for the power, just to keep things seperated. if you run a wire directly to the battery, or tap into the fuse box, make sure it's fused. you probably won't have any problems using the stock wiring and tapping into it, i just prefer not to.

Comment

Just as a side note, is Legacy any good? The thing cost me $20 shipped from ebay, so even if it isn't great I don't mind, I'm just curious what I'm getting myself into.

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
            Just as a side note, is Legacy any good? The thing cost me $20 shipped from ebay, so even if it isn't great I don't mind, I'm just curious what I'm getting myself into.

it'll give you a good idea of what an EQ does and what not, but don't expect it to last forever

Comment

some head units like the Pioneers have a 12v kickdown coil/capacitor on the constant power wire lead so if you are tapping into that wire form that source it could be an issues so running a power lead from the battery would be helpful but follow Blues tip on just twisting the red/orange wires together and try powering up the EQ straight from the battery. Where do you live? I am sure somebody here may be able to show up and help you out. Never had the opportunity to try Legacy so no opinion on it. Sorry.
              'I did nothing... I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be!?'
              -Dean
              2003.5 Vivid Yellow Protege5

Mods:
              18" G-Racing Kirins - hyper black
              Eibach Pro-Line lowering springs
              MazdaSpeed Axelback Exhaust
              Injen CAI - Polished
              Tinted windows. Llumar 35front 2&hatch glass/25middle roll down glass/18backside4
              DaveB trim rings
              Painted Calipers - G2

Stereo:
              Alpine CVA-1005 - 6.5" LCD Reciever.
              Alpine DVA-5210 - DVD/WMA/CD/MP3 Player
              Alpine ERA-G320 - EQ/Surround processor.
              Kicker IX-405D 5 Channel Amp
              Kicker 12" L5's in bandpass enclosure (2 of them)
              Kicker K-57.2 Components up front
              Kicker K-65 in back.

Future Mods?

Turbo?

Comment

I live in north Idaho... I haven't found anyone closer than Portland or Seattle yet on the boards. I don't think I'll have any trouble anyway, I just needed to know where the wires should be hooked up.

Comment

The piece of **** doesn't work! I hooked it directly to the battery and it didn't light up, I wired it into the car and no sound came out. I'm getting pissed now... I just want a goddam EQ, I don't want to deal with some guy who sold me a broken part.

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
                    The piece of **** doesn't work! I hooked it directly to the battery and it didn't light up, I wired it into the car and no sound came out. I'm getting pissed now... I just want a goddam EQ, I don't want to deal with some guy who sold me a broken part.

did you pay through paypal? did you contact the seller? report it to e-bay?

Comment

I paid through paypal and I emailed the seller this morning asking how he had it wired up. It's too early to report it yet, I haven't taken it up with him yet. Once he tells me about the wiring then if it still doesn't work I'll see where it goes. I'm not too worried yet, I'm just annoyed cause I wanted a working equalizer and I wanted it NOW!

Comment

I emailed the guy and he was really nice about it, he said he'd try to figure out how to make it work for me, said it was working when he took it out of his car, but if he couldn't find the information that he'd give me a refund. Again, I'm inclined to believe him that it was working, but I don't know what else to try. When I hooked it directly to the battery there was definitely current running through, but as far as I could tell the lights didn't turn on (it was daytime but in the shade, I'll try it again at night to be sure). When I hooked it up to the HU, I couldn't get any sound through it. I'm just trying to figure out any other possible way to make it work. Like I said, I don't really want my money back, I just want a working equalizer. Any other suggestions?

Comment

once you know for sure if it works or not, go from there

Comment

Working...
                          X