Mystery Sub-woofer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery Sub-woofer

ok, so my friend gave me a subwoofer for my BG. its nothing fancy, 8 inches in diameter. it came in eclosed. its by Jensen btw..

but i dont know what kind of amp to get. i dont know the impedance of the sub or how many watts i need. there are no markings on the sub except the Jensen logo. anyone have any idea?

[edit] pics might help yeah haha. oh and the box the sub is in is factor made.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MenehuneJones; 10-17-2010, 06:17 AM. Reason: for got pics
    I
    STAY
    HI

pull the speaker out of the box. the box never has any info on it. all the info is on the sub, and will be printed on the basket when you remove it.

since there are two speaker jacks, theres either two speakers in there, or its a dual voice coil, and theres a jack for each coil. you really need to know which one it is before you start worrying about an amp.
    ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
    ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
    What are you driving?

Comment

i opened it up today. There is nothing written anywhere on the inside. And yes its dual voice coil. is there anything.
      I
      STAY
      HI

Comment

does it really matter... its a hand-me-down 8in woofer... it would be one thing if it was some serious audiophile setup, but its not, sound quality is only going to be so good, and I think you would be quite dissapointed if you spent a bunch of time trying to match an amp to it because it would probably sound the same if I went to the store and got a a cheap monoblock amp without even getting specs on it.
        There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

Probably somewhere around 150W RMS, dual voice might make it a 4Ohm or 2Ohm, probably a 4Ohm though. They are cheap subs (you can get a new 12" on Amazon for $40 and it does 175W RMS).

1993 Mazda Familia GTR - work log

Comment

i had 2 of those identical bass tubes in a car 12 years ago. so i'll tell you now that thing is pretty damn old. they sold them at walmart back then for like 50 or so each. i had them hooked up to a jensen 4 channel amp that put out roughly 40 or 50 watts rms each channel if memory serves me. and i couldn't turn the gain up more than halfway before the subs started distorting. hope this helps

Comment

oh i see. but thanks eh, i appreciate the hand knowledge!

so what sort of amp would be best if im just using one?
              I
              STAY
              HI

Comment

a small 2 channel amp. something that puts out maybe 40-50 watts rms per channel should do the trick.

Comment

Working...
                X