converting a protege lx to a 1.6l and other silly fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

converting a protege lx to a 1.6l and other silly fun

first we need a donor car, in this case the 93 323 has the 1.6l single cam engine we're looking for, with a manual trans too, an extra bonus for fuel economy.

note to those at home considering this swap or looking to keep a budget, look for white cars, the paint flakes off of them in sheets for some reason, makes these 2 fine examples cost less then $500 for the pair, and tha'ts less then $250 per a car, and they are both running examples

(i was really shocked that the cruise, power mirrors, and windows ALL worked in the protege and outisde of some fairly light drivers seat wear the interior is really like new).

with the less powerful 1.6L and taller gearbox it should be a comfortable economy car that's super cheap to insure, easy to work on and once a double din touch screen sat nav with built in bluetooth is installed it'll have almost all the features or a modern luxery car at under 2600lbs while getting mid-30's on the highway. brilliant.

but what to do with the poor engine and trans-less 323? well it's a good thing that there was a built BP laying around with ARP hardware, forged rods, pistons, head work and custom camshafts. and a g series trans with a welded diff, along with the spare BP and trans (and thicker front axles, rear disc brakes, non damaged right front fender, hood and grill) from the protege would should be able to make this work, esp with the random t3/4 .60 laying around and a pair of BP turbo manifolds, rx7 VAF and injectors, and a subaru scoop mounted on the roof and a pulley on the end of a brakcet maked ditching the AC an easy decision (and will provide for spare AC parts for the protege, although the AC in the protege is ice cold) gettin the 323 up and running will involve a call to lex for a magic box, but the sweet 1.6L lx power everything protege with longer service life drum brakes, that'll be a swap and go job

future 323 plans after swap, cage, garrett gt28rs, massive amounts of suspension work, MSD, 4.926 R&P and a limited slip (i'll keep the trans with the welded diff as a spare), during the swap making poly motor mounts, ikea mud flaps, stitch welding the strut towers and firewall and finishing the body work.

future plans for the protege after the swap, you don't mess with automotive perfection...

Click image for larger version

Name:	built bp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	1264874

Name:	car and donor.jpg
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	1264875

Name:	323 scoop.jpg
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	1264876

Name:	ic plumbing injectors.jpg
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1264877

Kia bp?
    2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
    1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

yeah, really? i was noticing that, too.
      and my vote is dont touch anything on the body of that 323. build the **** out of it, but leave the paint scheme as is! lol.
      loves BGs too much for his own good...

93 pro lx. daily runaround until a straight shell can be had.
      73 datsun 260z, yet another project in need of more love.

"yeah im sure you as a redneck and then a dude walking around with a mohawk, wearing gang rags... you're sure to stir up some trouble..."
      sigpic

Comment

yup a kia bp with aftermarket rods and pistons, the headwork and ARP hardware throughout, and the oil pan is already tapped for a turbo. the previous owner was a streetracer (hey they're good for something) that had it listed on the local CL, he had a gt35 hanging off of it (holy turbo lag!). the built motor has a spun bearing, but it came with 2 spare pistons and rods and i have an extra crankshaft living in the protege. i'll still send the kia one off to get re-machined

as for the 323 paint, it's getting painted, but i'm doing the paint job so it'll still be beatertastic, i'd leave it as it if i lived in arizona, but here in the mid-atlantic it'd be body rot central in about 2 years if i don't touch it, and right now, shockingly, it's all surface rust.

Comment

so throw a clear coat on it. lol.
          loves BGs too much for his own good...

93 pro lx. daily runaround until a straight shell can be had.
          73 datsun 260z, yet another project in need of more love.

"yeah im sure you as a redneck and then a dude walking around with a mohawk, wearing gang rags... you're sure to stir up some trouble..."
          sigpic

Comment

Gotta love those sleepers, so much fun!
            94 pro base model, all synthetic fluids, s/r struts, front & rear ebay upper strut bars,front & rear tie bar, ZX2 1" front swaybar, EGT 21mm rear sway bar, custom delrin endlinks front & rear, custom delrin rear swaybar mount bushings, EBC front blanks & redstuff pads, CS ss brake lines & dot 4 fluid, big drum brakes in rear (from ZX2, free parts), 2.25 custom exaust w/magnaflo oval muffler, 4-wire o2 sensor, custom ram-air, 4-wire BP tb, MSD super conducter plug wires, MSD Blaster SS coil, NGK iridiums,OEM weighted shift knob, ebay short shifter, bronzoil bushings, CS ss clutch line, custom air splitter, mx-3 recaro drivers seat, EGT foglight switch, 35w 5000k hi/lo hid's

soon:
            lightened flywheel & clutch; in garage,
            Miata Daisy's; after new tires

Comment

some more paint prep photos and some other bits

I'm replacing the hood and right fender so those aren't getting prepped.

Also the fully prepped DSM open class rally car (yellow) is mine (and is for sale!!!)

I've decided to go with a white, satin black color scheme with bronze and lime green accessories

Bullbar (will hold 4 hella 4000's) the light covers are being sprayed in lime green

the gravel steelies:

and i'm debating what color to go with for the functional roof scoop, it's pretty freaking big. i'm leaning towards the roof being white opposed to satin black, so i could go with black or bronze for the sccop.

Comment

Working...
              X