Oil cooler/pressure gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil cooler/pressure gauge

Hey guys, I am thinking of adding a few things to my project. I have an 88 GT I would like to know which line on my turbo is the feed for the oil and which is the return.

The plan: Locate the oil return line, add in an oil cooler. I have a small transmission cooler from a cadillac laying around I figure it would make a good oil cooler. When I extend the oil line I figure why not add an oil pressure gauge. I am going to buy a mechanical gauge, I want to put a T with a fitting for the oil gauges adapter. Unless there is a better place on a B6T's block to put it.

Thoughts, Ideas, help is wanted..

Thanks
    -Brian
    Love my

1992 Protégé DX Totaled
    1991 Protégé LX SOLD
    1988 323 GT, 1.6 B6T 200k SOLD still on the road..
    1992 Miata Unofficial SE 76k
    1991 Mercury Capri XR2 101k
    1972 Monte Carlo

The oil feed is usually at the top and the oil return is at the bottom with a short hose to the oil pan.

Your plan won't work. The oil return is basically by gravity. If you plumb an oil cooler into the return it won't drain properly, causing the oil to back up and go through the seals. Also, there is no pressure in the return line, so no-go for the pressure gauge as well.

--Ferdi
    If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
    -----
    Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
    Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
    Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

Hm should I put the cooler on the feed line? Has anyone else done this?
      Love my

1992 Protégé DX Totaled
      1991 Protégé LX SOLD
      1972 Monte Carlo

Comment

I started this thread before I had oil problems, My light came on during a cold start. I want to replace my oil switch with a mechanical gauge. Should I??? advice???
        Love my

1992 Protégé DX Totaled
        1991 Protégé LX SOLD
        1972 Monte Carlo

Comment

If it were me:

Buy the Miata oil filter sandwich adapter plate, and use the oil ports for Oil Temp and Oil Pressure. Then buy some Press and Temp gauges from Egauges.com.

If you think the pressure for the turbo oil feed line is going to keep you up at night, then install the pressure transducer there and run the wires to the gauge. I've seen it done, but I'd rather get the reading from the oil filter.

Comment

I was looking in my manual and saw a picture of the existing filter plate. They call it an oil cooler?? Why dont I just take the existing feed line off that route it through a real cooler and back to the filter. Then take out my existing oil pressure light and insall a mechanical gauge?
            Love my

1992 Protégé DX Totaled
            1991 Protégé LX SOLD
            1972 Monte Carlo

Comment

check that out
              Love my

1992 Protégé DX Totaled
              1991 Protégé LX SOLD
              1972 Monte Carlo

Comment

Originally posted by E=MC^2 View Post
                I was looking in my manual and saw a picture of the existing filter plate. They call it an oil cooler?? Why dont I just take the existing feed line off that route it through a real cooler and back to the filter. Then take out my existing oil pressure light and insall a mechanical gauge?
                Because it's a water jacket for coolant.

Comment

I'd suggest including a thermostat so that the oil is cooled only when necessary and that the lines/hoses to and from the cooler have at least half inch or 13mm of internal cross section.

Comment

just T from your factory switch ..it will be fine...and if you want it easier,, find a audi or vw cabriolet that has factory gauges.. grab the gauges and the sending units..
                    hi team

Comment

Originally posted by m323pwr View Post
                      just T from your factory switch ..it will be fine...and if you want it easier,, find a audi or vw cabriolet that has factory gauges.. grab the gauges and the sending units..
                      This thread is over a year old bud. Ijs
                      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

lol,,, its been bout a year since i been back.

here is how i set up my adapter for my oil pressure sending unit.
                        Last edited by m323pwr; 08-04-2012, 03:54 AM.
                        hi team

Comment

Working...
                        X