Misfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misfire

Hey guys, It has been crazy here in Minnesota the last few days have brought us 2 feet of snow and now lows of up to 15 degrees. Yesterday the temperature was in the 30's, the storm was at its worst....

I had the headlights, heater blowing at setting 1, radio, and rear defroster on.

I was a mile from home when I turned a corner and hit the gas, I heard what sounded like chugging from the engine and exhaust, as if I dropped a cylinder, I lost a lot of engine power. It came when I hit the gas from around 1200-3k rpms in gear. after I got up to speed it went away. It idled very low I was afraid it would die. If I reved it up it would sputter then become smooth after 3-4k and if I let off the gas it would stay smooth at idle until putting the car back in gear.

The engine was fairly warm and nothing I can think of besides the strong electrical loads were happening. The day before I had the same electrical loads on it was fine, The only difference was the snow storm.

I turned the defrost off, the misfire continued. I was halfway home when I noticed if I let the clutch out really slowly the engine stayed smooth. After doing that a few times the misfire never came back even if I let the clutch out at a normal rate.

I took the plugs out they were NGK bcpr6e
    I put in some NGK Iridium bcpr6eix-11

The old plugs were all white on the ground strap. But the number one plug was not as white as the others and had a bit of oil on the threads. They were all around .040 gap. I remember one plug was at .050 pretty sure it was the #1 cylinder. All the wires and the ground off the disty were secure. I will check the disty parts tomorrow. But when I started it before and after the plug change it ran fine I did not really drive it, just i and out of the garage but it was smooth.....

Any tips or Ideas? Should I keep the new Iridiums?

Thanks
    -Brian
    Last edited by E=MC^2; 12-11-2010, 07:45 PM. Reason: My english teacher was hot so I never paid attention
    Love my

1992 Protégé DX Totaled
    1991 Protégé LX SOLD
    1988 323 GT, 1.6 B6T 200k SOLD still on the road..
    1992 Miata Unofficial SE 76k
    1991 Mercury Capri XR2 101k
    1972 Monte Carlo

Gap seems wide. Try .030 and see if it comes back.

Oh, and lol @ reason to edit.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Yeah the plugs I bought were set at .040 and my manual says between .039 -.043 So I think they are alright now.

and Haha its true!
      Love my

1992 Protégé DX Totaled
      1991 Protégé LX SOLD
      1972 Monte Carlo

Comment

If you had oil on your threads there is a chance that your valve cover is leaking oil down into the hole where the spark plug is.. That will cause a missfire when enough oil accumilates down there...

the plug that wasn't as white will be the cylinder that was missing...

Comment

Got an AFR gauge and a volt gauge? What are they reading? Sounds like a boost leak, to be honest. If that's the case, then you're not telling us that you were out there doing donuts in a snowy parking lot and the boost creep popped off a vacuum line / loosened a coupler. Heh.

Comment

One of the common sources for misfire in these cars is the spark plug wires. I've had this issue on several BPs.

Comment

I was sliding in the snow a bit but that was a few days before . I changed my plugs and it has been fine since... I have a volt meter it reads 14-14.5 when the engine is running. I have a AFR gauge now too it is in the high 13s-14 When cruising.

It is super cold here in Minnesota, when its not so bad I plan to test the wires.
              Love my

1992 Protégé DX Totaled
              1991 Protégé LX SOLD
              1972 Monte Carlo

Comment

Working...
              X