Serious about handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious about handling

Since I really dont know about the concept of making a car handle well, I'm gonna ask some questions. I know parts such as sway bars, springs and strut bars all play into the role of improving handling. As of now I'm riding on H&R sport springs with some tociko s/r struts and both front/rear strut bars. I'm lookin for a fun street car, one that I can take out in the country backroads and take some turns going 90mph+. Of course I can just throw on all these parts, but what combination really is the best? Just a front strut bar, both thicker sway bars? Just a thick rear sway bar? Stiffer bushings? You catch my drift, I just basically wanna balance out the under/oversteer.
    James G.
    sobe83@yahoo.com
    AIM: DVS 323BPT
    MySpace
    Cardomain
    <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

I would highly recommend a Suspension Techniques rear sway bar and a front tie-bar. The biggest difference in handling that I noticed was when I installed my tokico struts, the st sway bar, and my custom front tie-bar. Strut bars don't do much but complement the other modifications well. What kind of tires are you running on?

Check out this thread for more info on my setup, which I am very happy with so far:
    -------------------------
    '91 LX
    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

the concept of handling is rigidity with flex, if that makes any sense, and COG.

To flexable you experience bodyroll, to rigid you break things, or twist frame elements.
      the best handling is weight split is 50/50. your centroid is well centered. so on set of wheels is not "overloaded' when comared to the other set.

If you can move the weight, transfer the force. This is where swaybar, Tie bars, Strut tower bars all come into play. all these things do is provide a nother means to tranfer force, and increase the crosectional area that the force is being pushed through. this is what give ti strength.

tie bars, The front as you have probably read, connects the front assembly. and helps prevent induced toe, caster, camber. the rear tie bar, is more frame stiffening.

Swaybars, transfer force across the car. so that body roll is counteracted. with our lower chassis you can have too big of a sway bar.

Strut tower bars, help keep the strut tower from flexing. which will inhibit body roll.
      When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
      Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
      Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
      So his engine he goosed
      With much too much boost,
      And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

so would it be a bad thing if you just threw all of these things on your car?
        Serenity's Dead.

Comment

i have H&R springs and Tokico struts on my car. i really like the way my car handles, i can corner so hard that the fuel will cut out. the best thing handling wise was added the LSD because it really gets rid of a ton of understeer mid-turn because you can just lay on the throttle and it will pull itself through.

also, going from the super heavy ASA EM9 16x7 rims with Yokohama A520 tires to the lightweight (9lbs a rim) Enkei RPF1s and Falken Azenis tires made a big difference. a lot more grip in the dry, cept for gravel or wet where the A520s were a lot better.

i'm not expert on handling. i just know my car is really predictable. now only if the 323 was blessed with some brakes, i get brake fade after a couple hard stops during spirited driving.
          13.66@102

Comment

where do you get the whiteline bar?
            Eat ****.

Comment

Originally posted by 91ProtegeLX
              where do you get the whiteline bar?
              '91 LX

well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Originally posted by KiddX
                so would it be a bad thing if you just threw all of these things on your car?
                no it would not. it would actually be a good thing. just as long as you dont start getting the "bigger is better, biggest is best" mentality.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

without any experience in some sort of performance driving, modifying the suspension is only going to kill you faster.

*shrug* oem cars have a natural tendency to automatically save your ass. You'll be getting rid of that.
                  "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                  -93 MR2, 129 ES
                  ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                  Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
                    without any experience in some sort of performance driving, modifying the suspension is only going to kill you faster.

*shrug* oem cars have a natural tendency to automatically save your ass. You'll be getting rid of that.
                    I don't have any experience in professional driving and yet I feel much safer in my car after I modified the suspension. Steering response is much better, which is very helpful when doing fast lane changes for avoiding a collision or simply a nasty pothole. Highway driving is also improved as I have much more control over the car when driving a little faster. If done properly, I think that modifying the suspension could actually turn out to be rather helpful during unexpected situations.
                    '91 LX

Comment

When I bought my strut tower bar. I asked the guy if they sell the bottom tie bar. He told me that from a 97-99 Mitsubishi Mirage fits 323s and I've seen a couple of 323s around my house with chrome rear tie bars. Does anyone know of this?
                      own: 91'323 w/ angel eye projectors & 1.8 DOHC all motor

Comment

It all depends on what you plan to do with the car. If you plan to race it, then your parts choices will be dependant on the type of racing and will be much more contemplated when purchased....if your tooling around town and just want crisp handling, then a more mellow approach is needed to take into account daily activities and driving comfort.

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays

That seems to be my impression too, especially when it comes to changing the sway bars. I think most of the spring / strut combinations are good for the street though.

Man, my Eibachs are too soft though. Time for Ground Controls and ST sway bars.
                          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

my input, though not 100% valid, when i threw on a front strut bar, even then you notice a change in steering characteristics.. even in lane changes! just simply take it easy once you've modified your suspension DRAMACTICALLY.. until you're use to the handling. my experience comes JUST from a front sway bar.. a lowered center of gravity, strut bars, lower tie bars, wheel weight, tires, bigger sway bars, urethane endlink bushings (am i right?) would all make a dramatic difference in and of themselves, just altogether would give you a better feel? i wish i had done these modifications on my protege while i could have . good luck

Comment

If you want, change your bushings. that is an excelent handling upgrade even for just bombing around town.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

Working...
                              X