has anyone stuffed a F2T in a BF GT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has anyone stuffed a F2T in a BF GT?

Since i am having a hard time with finding a B6T for my GTX, i figured i would just yank the B6T out of my GT and stuff something into the GT. Seeing that I living in california a BPT is probably out of the question since none of those came out this way. So another option would be a F2T, in my mind, but I have more hopes and dreams then reality.

Though since I'll have to get the car inspected afterward to get my sticker (approval for the swap from the state) hacking at the frame would be a no no.

Any other option you guys can see for my GT or GTX? Sadly I am limited to what Mazda made and a US model.

I own a house in Nevada as well and might see what their thoughts are on an engine swap. If they dont care, I might just register my GTX there and use a BPT for it. I would rather not though...
    88 GT - DD
    88 GTX - whore

drop a kl in it
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Dont you have to hack at the frame for a KL?

I should also mention that I love having a turbo car. So turbo options would be what I am after. Which I guess I covered. Ugh. I guess I could go NA....
      88 GT - DD
      88 GTX - whore

Comment

I don't think he hacked up anything to put a de in.

1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

i have a jdm b6t sitting in my shed. i think im going to bpt swap my car so i wont be needing it. lmk if you are interested.
          88 Mazda GTX- rusted dalmation, it runs?
          00 Ford ZX2- red terd, mods: slow
          00 Ford ZX2- purple ricerocket, 302whp/298wtq - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post
            I don't think he hacked up anything to put a de in.

http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44574
            i was looking through that thread ealier, but then my computer decided it no longer wanted to look at 323 stuff and shut off . but it did bring up a small issue for me, that being the axles. something i didnt even think about when i was thinking of shoving the f2t in there either.

anyone have a measurement for the f2t, b6t, and the kl??

edit: flipped through the entire thread. seems intriguing, but the axle bs is a nightmare. i guess since i have a g-series trans i could nab the diff from it so i ont have that members issues. but then what to do with the g-series trans. ugh.

Originally posted by corby_baby View Post
            i have a jdm b6t sitting in my shed. i think im going to bpt swap my car so i wont be needing it. lmk if you are interested.
            price is the key to everything in this world. i sent you a pm.
            Last edited by 99EJ6T; 12-31-2010, 05:58 AM.
            88 GT - DD
            88 GTX - whore

Comment

I doubt most inspection places in CA would know the difference between the B6T and a BPT.

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
              1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
              1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
              1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
              1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

Originally posted by 808 View Post
                I doubt most inspection places in CA would know the difference between the B6T and a BPT.
                maybe, maybe not. would you risk one of your BFs to find out? it would only take one smog tech to flag the car and send me to a state inspector. really dont feel like having CA take one of my cars away and crushing it cause i refused to play by the rules. over the last few years, with so many smog shops getting busted, smog guys are actually on their toes and flag almost anything that doesnt "right" to them. i blame the illegally swapped honda guys
                88 GT - DD
                88 GTX - whore

Comment

This guy put an FE3 into one. F2T is the exact same block dimensions but slightly taller. It should clear the bonnet though coz its only a SOHC.

So the answer is yes, it fits, and it fits easily.

Comment

after a bit more digging, used google to search this site, i found this:

which the poster you linked from the laser site commented on the subject.

i am curious to see of the h-series trans will work. the link you posted the user used a g-series trans. i am going to assume that mazda didnt change much from one trans to another for that series of engines.
                    88 GT - DD
                    88 GTX - whore

Comment

It wont fit with a h-series without some drastic modifications to the car, the h-type transmission is alot bigger than a g-series.

Comment

Why not grap up an n/a B6 from something like a Capri? Only difference is higher CR and camshafts (cams can be swapped), and make for a much peppier ride. I know they're fairly common in CA.
                        1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
                        1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
                        www.werbatfik.com

Comment

A friend of mine fitted a FE3N one with a Turbo into his GTX with a H-Series gearbox. It is a lot of work and he said he would never try it again. On the plus side it was pushing 350Kw with it, but he had major 3rd gear selection with the H-Series gearbox.
                          My Hiroshima Screamer

Comment

Originally posted by jesiotrot View Post
                            It wont fit with a h-series without some drastic modifications to the car, the h-type transmission is alot bigger than a g-series.
                            really? ugh, not what i wanted to hear..

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                            Why not grap up an n/a B6 from something like a Capri? Only difference is higher CR and camshafts (cams can be swapped), and make for a much peppier ride. I know they're fairly common in CA.
                            i looked for one already, both capri and miata. there are few places with them that dont want more then i am willing to spend on an untested engine with no warranty.

Originally posted by 323GTX-RSA View Post
                            A friend of mine fitted a FE3N one with a Turbo into his GTX with a H-Series gearbox. It is a lot of work and he said he would never try it again. On the plus side it was pushing 350Kw with it, but he had major 3rd gear selection with the H-Series gearbox.
                            went from 4wd to 2wd? why? the main reason for a gtx is to have the rear wheels "hook". i had a thought about that the other day. trying to shove a KL under the hood of my gtx AND keep it 4wd. at least if i took that kind of project on, i wouldnt feel i would need the car in a running condition.... or maybe just make the gtx rwd.....

note: i got my GTX back in aug and have not touched it since sept. its just sitting in a field at my friends house.
                            Last edited by 99EJ6T; 01-04-2011, 04:01 PM.
                            88 GT - DD
                            88 GTX - whore

Comment

No he kept it 4WD, just used the gearbox out of a 626 4WD from Europe.
                              My Hiroshima Screamer

Comment

Working...
                              X