Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust maintenance question!

Hi,

I'm starting work on getting my GTX good for rally cross and want to deal with the rust. For the most part the underbody of the car is pretty good. There appears to be no structural damage rust. The rails have some undercoating peeling off and some surface rust beneath, but it is still solid. The main problem is the jack points. They look terrible. I haven't removed the carpetting inside yet but I imagine it has not affected the floor pan. I'm not super experienced with this type of repair, but I want to do it right. Is anyone familiar with how to take care of this problem? Do I cut it out and weld in a new sheet of metal?

Also, I'd like to treat the rails to make sure they don't get any worse, does anyone know a good treatment?

I've attached a pic of the area, the rail looks like it's bowing a bit where the jack stand is, but it is not.

Thanks

Por-15

Comment

tbh the only "real" rust fix is to completely remove all the rusted metal and weld in new. por-15 is good to protect the metal after proper prep/paint and for lightly rusted items that are still solid like control arms ect

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaNoob View Post
        tbh the only "real" rust fix is to completely remove all the rusted metal and weld in new. por-15 is good to protect the metal after proper prep/paint and for lightly rusted items that are still solid like control arms ect
        Yeah doing research the POR-15 is pretty impressive for treating the areas with a bit of surface rust. I'll apply it to the rails and control arms, etc and after I fix the jack points.

But like MazdaNoob said, I'm going to cut out the section and weld a new sheet in. I've just never done this before, so I'm not sure what to expect ... I took a look again today and it looks a lot better than what my picture shows but still a problem. If I cut out that piece, give about an inch extra from the rust, will I be cutting through the floor or is there another sheet there? I was then going to overlap a new sheet and weld. I was not going to do a butt weld, or should I?

Sorry for newb questions. I want to learn how to do this properly.

Comment

Working...
        X