Tips for removing rear rotors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for removing rear rotors?

Is there a trick to getting my rusted rear rotor screws off? I'll soak them with PB Blaster and try again with my electric drill and a Philips bit, but I just wanted to check to see if there are any tips and tricks.

Are they all regular (right-handed) thread?

Thanks for helping!

"Mazderati"
    91 LX DOHC 5 speed V8 stocker
    Pioneer DEH-550MP, Infinity 6002i's, Pioneer 6x9s
    Uniden PC76XL w/ Astatic Road Devil & 5' Wilson Silverload

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Brougham
    AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

ya they were put on in the assembly line, they will most likley break. In the shop we have a screwdriver that when you band the end, it spins, very cool. goodluck finding one lol.
    00 dakota 4x4
    90 crx si - ls/vtec

Comment

Should I even bother replacing the screws? Just leave the broken ones in there if I break 'em off?

That was a tough find:

CLICK
      Last edited by Boston; 09-08-2003, 11:31 PM.

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

i just used different screws and if your break something replace it, its there for a reason, use a hammer to brake the drum loose, do it lightly around the outside that should free up some of the rust
        No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

I was told that the screws in the rotor were there hold to hold it in place while it was making its way donw the assembly line, I dun really think you need em.. between the caliper and the studs that rotor aint going nowhere...!
          00 dakota 4x4
          90 crx si - ls/vtec

Comment

same here, i replaced the rotor on my honda and was told the two screws are there during manufactoring the car, also explains why if you bring your car to get your rotor resurfaced, even if by the dealer, they arent replaced

Comment

when i did my rears, i just drilled out the screws with a electric drill, the heads came right off.

They aren't necessary, they were used during the manufacturing process like everyone else has said.
              93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
              02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
              05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

I'm gonna go give them a try right now.

FYI, I got an impact driver at Autozone for $9.99 plus tax. Great Neck part number "IMD5"

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

The fronts don't have any screws....

Bedises, if your rotors are falling off, your wheel is already gone!!! :D:D

Comment

Originally posted by ne3ek
                    ya they were put on in the assembly line, they will most likley break. In the shop we have a screwdriver that when you band the end, it spins, very cool. goodluck finding one lol.
                    Thats an impact driver.
                    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

I got the screws off without breaking by using the impact driver that I got at Autozone. I didn't even have to spray the screws with any penetrant. A couple were harder than the others, but I got em out. I put them back in, but not as tight as they were before. Just as tight as I could with a screwdriver. They are #3 Philips if you are wondering.

My Protege stops a lot smoother now and there is no dragging when driving normally. However, I don't like the poor feel in the brake pedal. I can get the rear tires to lock up, but can't do a 4-wheel skid. I'd feel a little better about the braking ability if I could lock up all 4 corners.

The brake pedal feels sort of soft for the first few inches of travel and the brakes apply light pressure. After those first few inches, the pedal stiffens up as if I'm pushing it to the floor and then the brakes come on harder, but only if I apply a good amount of force. The pedal doesnt have that smooth action and constant increase in braking with constant increase in force. I don't know how else to explain it. The pedal feel is inferior to other almost all other cars I have driven, old or new. Maybe it's just the way these pedals are, or maybe I need to change the master cylinder.

Any ideas?

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Boston
                        I'm gonna go give them a try right now.

FYI, I got an impact driver at Autozone for $9.99 plus tax. Great Neck part number "IMD5"
                        Originally posted by midnightblue97
                        Thats an impact driver.
                        Is there an echo in here?

Is there an echo in here?

:p: :p:

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

I don't think so, ne3ek's post about that "Screwdriver thing that you bang on the end" post.

I don't think so, ne3ek's post about that "Screwdriver thing that you bang on the end" post.
                          Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                          BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97

That's what we're talking about

CLICK HERE

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

wtf enough about it, so I didn't know the name of the ****ing tool, way to quote and make me feel stupid.
                              00 dakota 4x4
                              90 crx si - ls/vtec

Comment

Working...
                              X